Placing hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Sorry for the newbie question. And I am sure someone will tell me to search the question/answere which I always do. I have checked all different sources (Books , Forums) and always find conflicting answeres. So here is my question:

Does the hive enterence have to face a specific direction?

I have found where it should face South.
    Another source recomends facing East.
    One said South East.
    and several say when they have multiable hives they are placed back to back. ( so that would be South-North or East-West).

I am at the point that I think I should do all of the above. ( put it on a lazy susan).

Again I am a complete newbie and will be setting up my first hive in the next few weeks so it will be ready for its late April nuc.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Anywhere from east to south, in the northern hemisphere, is preferred. It will give them the earliest sunlight so they start work a bit earlier. It also helps block the northerly and westerly winds.

The importance of this is overblown. If you can't face them that direction, it's no big thing.

3. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I can tell you from expirience to make sure you get the hive in a place to get as much sun as possible. I agree with Iddee that I don't think it really matters where the entrance is facing but last year I placed my hives in a location that did not get full sun and I got overrun with wood beetles. My friend has his hives in full sun and he had no beetles whatsoever and he only lives 3 miles from me. The lady I got my bees from told me that the entrance should be facing the sun because when the sun first hits the hive and starts to heat it up, the hotter air in the hive starts to rise up and draw cooler air into the hive so having the entrance facing east can minimize cool air being drawn into the hive. I found out that beekeeping doesn't have to be complicated it is supposed to be fun.

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

My status says im a senior member. More like green horn member. This will be my first year. I live in town and the houses block most of the heavy wind. My backyard has many mature trees so for me my hives are facing west. They won't get real early sun cause they are up against the shed but will get a lot of the morning/afternoon sun. The hottest part of the day the sun will be shaded by the tress. Keeps them from roasting. Check out all my posts. I asked many questions!

5. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

Another teaching I've heard is to face the hives towards the direction of the most nectar flow. I can see the sense in this. I have hives on a rail facing south. It appears the direction of most nectar is the easterly direction. I find that the hives on the east end of the rails do the best and have the greater populations, I'm assuming from drift, as the heaviest laden girls will take the nearest open door when returning from working in the fields.

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

A local beekeeper has 4 hives on a common stand with all facing a different direction. Says he's been doing it that way for years. So I don't think it really matters but I've never tried anything Iddee says that didn't work.

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Hmm, with them all facing a different direction doesn't that mean you could very well be working in the flight path of the neighboring hive and be visible to it's guard bees? I think I need to go back and re-look at migratory pallets and see how the hives are arranged on them...

The confused one,
    Ed

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Migratory pallets are 2 facing the same way side by side, the other 2 facing the opposite way.

IE: 2 facing east, 2 facing west.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a medic snip..
    I have found where it should face South.
    Another source recomends facing East.
    One said South East.

tecumseh:
    well it does matter somewhat and in several ways. the first rays of sun coming into the front entry is what typically gets a hive up and going early in the morning. so the more you turn the hive away from the sunrise the later the hive activity begins. the concern here is not potentially catastrophic.

secondly... the older literature inform us that there is a correlation between the direction of the entrance and some disease vectors like nosema. basically the more northernly the entrance the more likely nosema is to display itself. the concern here could be potentially catastrophic.

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Thanks, Iddee. I watched a good video yesterday of some migratory beeks swapping brood boxes....very interesting...and it showed the orientation of the hives.

Ed