Placing hives near chickens.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by darrenct83, Jun 14, 2011.

1. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

I live on a 1/4 acre lot so I am trying to decide where would be the ideal place to put my hive as not to agitate my only close neighbor. The best spot for getting good morning sun happens to be very close to my coop of six chickens. If the hive is placed at waist level, and the bees have to fly over a six foot fence to get out of the yard does anyone think that my bees are at risk of being eaten by the chickens that stay at ground level?

I do have an alternate location where the hive is placed now. It is further from the chickens, but it does not receive very much sun at all.

Anyone have experience in keeping bees near chickens?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the chickens can reach the hive, they will eat wax moths and other pests on and around the hive. They will not eat bees.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

My chickens are right next to the hives and free range during the day. Seen them looking at bees on ground , but they move on, no issues at all, hives do face away from the chicken coop though

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

At least not healthy ones... they will eat the ground crawlers and dead bees that the house cleaners remove from the hive, at least my hen does.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i got 4 hives within 10 foot of a chicken coop with no problems

6. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I have 6 hives within 20 yards of my chicken coops and the only issue I (or should I say the chickens) have is the bee's bellying up to their watering hole!

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Doesn't MamaBeek have a story to retell, regarding chickens and bees? Or maybe the memory is too painful.

They usually get along alright.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

While at a recent bee education day, I heard someone ask that question of a guest speaker. He commented they make great companions. He added that in Africanized Bee prone areas, it's a great way to determine if your bee stock has been intermingled with African Bees. :eek: The logic being that it's better to lose a chicken or two instead of a family member (children) being attacked.