placing hives! re orientation needed?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 29, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

Well i found a place that has pallets for hives that act as a screened bottom board and I can place up to 6 hives on it.

My question is : can I just remove my bottom boards and grab the hives and place them on the new pallets , toss some branches in the front so they re orient? Should I change the colour of a few deeps to help them distinguish between there hives while I make the changes?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

How far away are your hives from where the pallet will be placed? If they are close (real) you can probably do as you suggested and use the branches to get them to reorient. Different colours help as well but might make for a lot more work for yourself. If your hives are spread out, you may end up with some bees going back to their old locations.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I usually place a branche or lean a board up in front of the entrance, but it probably doesn't make any differents. Different color hives would help them orient their hive, but with the hives being that close together there is sure to be some drifting. That's just my 2 cents worth.:grin: Jack

4. adamant

adamant Member

Yes. Right next to one another.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would just set them up. Any drifting will be minor and won't hurt anything.