plant identifacation post ??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by 2kooldad, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

do we have a post that has pictures of bee plants for help in identifacation....if not how hard would it be to start one ???

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

That's a great suggestion! I'd like to see that as well. Possibly done by geographical location and/or time of year.

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

That would be kinda cool. Maybe, to make it easy to do, we could start a thread and members could take pictures of things they have identified in their area then post about it.

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well....maybe some suggestions from people then....i think it will be fun...it should just be nector or pollen sources...this is after all for the honey bees an im sure the gardeners problly have their own plant posts...geographic regions is problly a good idea...a good picture with blooms an leafs with a small bit of info would be a BIG help...we dont need to know how to grow it...just its name an nick name....where it grows...when it blooms an what the bees get from it....should there be anything else ???

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hows this (just an example) it would need a better picture...actualy 2 pics...one really good pic of the foliage an one really good one of the blooms....an the info should be on the top picture...or the what n where part...the when an why could be on the bloom picture....give us beeks a reason to use that dusty 900 dollar camera we just had to have :)

Attached Files:

6. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks for the suggestion 2kooldad, I think this is a great idea too! I added a forum to the "photo gallery" named plant identification. Let's see how this goes...

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ok...great :) then lets do this sucka...it will help alot of people i think...give beeks a reason to do a little reserch....i always have questions about what a plant is an what the bees get from it...i have several right now :/

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my little girls probiscus is waterin' from the sight of that cabbage palm.

ummm.... somewhere in the recess of my mind I still can still recall the taste of cabbage palms, hush puppies and catfish.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ohhh Tecumseh....i know this spot...i been try'n ta get permission from an owner to put my hives there....there are cabbage palms for miles an miles...as far as i can see...thousands an thousands of them....its florida so they are everywhere but this place is extra awesome...a person could clean house on cabbage palm honey...10 miles south of there are mangroves an brazilian peppers an 10 miles north are palmetteos to no end...ive seriously thought of mounting my hives onto a trailor....or even onto an old bluebird school bus....bet i could get a good bit O honey round here.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

homosassa springs?

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

no....south of there about 20 miles....although that area is good too...citrus county (where homosassa is) is full of wild bee forage...and the palmettos i was talking about are at the southern end of (here goes trying to spell this) Chazahowitzka WMA...the northern end of that management area is in homosassa...the whole thing is covered in palmetto and i would guess that the western edge...along the gulf waters...is covered in cabbage palms like the southern end....its all part of nature coast (state project to aquire an preserve natural florida)...the mangroves an brazilian peppers are more abundant the further you go south....pasco/hernando is kinda the tropical line here....avacodos, jacarunda trees an a billion other things grow south of us...sporadicly here...an none north of us...odd that its noticable...anyways this area has alot to offer a person with a trailor full of bees an some places to put them....i have to get off my but an see if i can squirel away some permission to put them on state land...i'd be set then :)

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Who do you ask for permission? And, come to think of it, does the state have a hive licensing fee?