plant identifacation...sumack ??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by 2kooldad, Aug 4, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I think this is sumack...we have two kinds here according to the book...one poision an one not...any body know ???

Attached Files:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

2kooldad,i don't know about your area but in Mo. we have 7 types of sumac.
    Aromatic
    Dwarf
    Flame leaf
    Fragrant
    Shining
    Smooth
    Winged
    I'm not sure which one (i think Fragrant) can produce a heavy honey crop (a dark honey, with a good flavor). Jack

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Looking at the Second pic , that certainly looks like Sumac , first pic diff to see the leaves.

The Poison Sumac only grows in wetlands, flowers are very insignificant , it grows into a small tree typically, and according to the botanists is not that easy to find. Its other name is Swamp Sumac for obvious reasons. "White Berry, be thou wary" Its berries typically droop.

[​IMG]

Most common is Smooth Sumac rhus glabra also called Pennsylvania Sumac, a cone of Bright red berries in Fall, and into Winter . It's stems are 3 sided and smooth

[​IMG]

rhus typhina Staghorn or Velvet Sumac is another widespread Sumac. Its stems are round and hairy.

[​IMG]
    NOTE glabra and typhina do cross breed

Winged Sumac Rhus copallinum, this seems to be one Bees do like , I found a few references to that
    Named because of leaves growing along the stem[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i belive its winged sumack....its the one they have in the florida wild flower book thats not poisonious....i took the pics on my phone...thats why its hard to see....they are blooming everywhere right now.....in fact im passing tree after tree of it right now as im driving down 19...i wanna see a bee on it before i put it in the plant Id post....i saw lots of other kinds of bees on it...just no honey bees...but it was late in the day an i was on my way home so i didnt look long....i'll check for the wings today after work an shoot it with my camera for better pics.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

yup...def winged sumack...got good pics for the plant id post...with bees....got some good ones of bottle brush too...lots O bees on them right now...an im toten my cammera with me at work today....could get interesting ;)

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Staghorn sumac is what i use to pick the seeds off and put in my mouth while quial hunting, it has a lemon tast. Jack

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

you can make a very tasty drink from the staghorn sumac berries, or make it into a heavy syrup. The berries are extremely high in vitamin C. My old grandma used to make the syrup and all the kids had to have a few spoonsful a day during the fall and winter months. Tea made from the berries and served with honey is very soothing on a sore throat too.