planting for me and the bees: Amaranth

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Gypsi, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hopi Amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) is a member of the Amarathaceae family but belongs in the genus Amaranthus. While the other genera of the Amaranthaceae family have nectar, the flowers of the Amaranthus genus don't.
    Take a look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranth
    If the name of the plant you are looking into is really A. cruentus, (scientific and common names often aren't correctly lined up), and you want a flowering plant that also produces nectar, I suggest you look for another plant for honey.

3. Gypsi

Well I guess I'll just have to have it for salad, like my spinach. Thank you for letting me know though. I thought I'd discovered the next best thing to sliced bread.

4. pturley

pturley New Member

I had about 4 lbs of Amaranth seeds from a fairly small planting last year (I keep expanding the bed each season). The bed I planted was only about 25~30 sq ft.

I had a large ziploc bag FULL of seeds but a good bit of it molded. I screwed up and stored it too damp and in plastic. (Note to self: Store seeds in PAPER BAGS ONLY!)

Now I may only have about a pound or less of slightly smelly seeds left. Otherwise, I could've commented on its comparison to Quinoa.

You've discovered the next best thing to spinach (I really is good in salads and as cooked greens).
    The heads get heavy, but the seeds are very small. It takes a good number of plants to make a grain crop.

5. Gypsi

Well I ordered 2 seed packets, but I figure of the Hopi's could grow them, I can grow them in Texas. Getting a spinach crop around here is hot or miss and mostly miss. It's too hot to germinate in the fall for a fall-winter crop, too cold in the winter (but I have some sprouted now), it wants perfect growing temps and we just do not have them.

So Amaranth it is! pretty too!