Plastic Conical Bee Escapes

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by sqkcrk, Jun 13, 2010.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I guess they are correctly named, but the bees can go back in too.

I have some bees in the wall of my house right in the corner of my bedroom window. So I ordered some bee escapes, applied some duct tape to restrict the hole and then installed a bee escape. Everything seemed fine and then I noticed that those clever gals figured out how to go back in.

I guess I should have just gone and bought some wire screen and made my own. If this doesn't do the job, I will. There are alot of bees outside not going back in.

I was able to stack two barrels, one on top of the other, for a platform to set a nuc box on. It's just the right hieght.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If they are solid, like a plastic funnel, they won't work. With the screen they can't see the conical shape, they just see a square wire fence. If it's solid, they can see the hole in the end. That will just become their new entrance.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Thanks iddee. I figured you would know, what w/ all of your experience.

Do you know Trye Hogan? He just moved to NY from NC w/ his wife and kids. She is a midwife. He had bees in NC and left them w/ his Masterbeekeeper. He lived near Greensboro.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, the name doesn't ring any bells. Can you get the master beekeepers name? I only know of 3 around Greensboro.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I'll ask him.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The way I make my screens, they can't go back in regardless of if they see the opening or not. That's because to go out they have to push open the screen that is just a milimeter too small but flexes with ease. But to go back in they have no way to open it back up, so once out they are locked out.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would watch it VERY closely. One dead drone may stop it up completely. Also, if it's screen and not hardware cloth, it can collapse on it's own and stop all exits.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So far it's worked well for me every time I've used it.