plastic frame feeders(2.5 gal. ones) seems there is a lot of space between it

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Jun 10, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

see pic. looks like i can fit another frame in there but just wont fit!

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Then I'd adjust the frames so they are all even? (guessing - I have the 1 gallon frame feeder. I can JUST fit 9 frames in with it.)

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Always push all your frames together in the middle of the box, that includes the feeder frame too.

Leave any extra space against the two hive box side walls. Spreading extra space amongst the frames evenly only encourages connecting burr comb because the bees feel it's too much space between combs... so they fill it.

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

While on the subject of spacing and keeping the extra on the outside...

Should I scrape the drone comb off of the outer walls, or leave it?

5. Omie

Omie New Member

If there's any comb built on the sides of the hive box, I'd scrape it off. Consider giving the brood box one frame of drone foundation, or one frame of foundationless, that the bees can build/raise drones on. It makes a convenient 'drone brood trap' that you can scrape the caps off occasionally to reduce mite population, and it satisfies the bees need to build drone comb, so they build less drone burr comb it in messy and inconvenient places. They will also use the drone frame to store honey during the winter when not raising drones on it.