Plasticell Question...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, May 20, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok so just a question because I think I got it right but making sure.

When I assembled my Hive Kit the 2 Full-Size deeps had Black plasticell for one and Yellow for the other. Then my 2 Medium Supers had yellow plasticell.

So the Black Plasticell is in the Bottom Deep and yellow in the top deep.

So is this because the black is where they like to keep the brood and the yellow makes the bees think Honey?

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I know it's easier, for me, to spot eggs with black plastic frames, but I think it's dark in the hive and bees can't see what color the plastic is.
    I'm sure I'm wrong, but you never know....

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

color really doesnt matter to the bees they cant see it anyhow, however in some cases the color indicates cell size. Ie green would be drone cell. In this case as the DR said the black does make it easier to see eggs. sounds like your good to go

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you installed a package or nuc, you do it in one box only. You don't add another box until they have drawn out most of the first. Then the same for the third, when the second is nearly full.

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I installed my bees 5 weeks ago...I was just wondering about the colors now. My beekeeper friend told me black in bottom deep when I built it....

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK. Just checking. :D

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

donmcjr, no need to wonder about these colors, at some point you will have these mixed around anyway and as everyone else has said, the bees don't care. i also prefer the black foundation to enable me to see the eggs better.

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    So is this because the black is where they like to keep the brood and the yellow makes the bees think Honey?

tecumseh:
    so what is the reason for the various colors of plasticell? just a black cat curious kind of question... but inquiring cats do need to know!

10. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I just got off the phone with Arlan at Dadant. He says they only carry black and yellow anymore. He says they sell way more yellow than black, and has no idea why. He mentioned that black is, of course, easier to see eggs/larvae in, but that people must just like the look of yellow more.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks dr buzz for the answer to my cat curious question.

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

About the only issue I have with plastic cell is that if the bees aren't quick builders, they get lazy and strip the wax coating off the plastic, then never go back to the stripped area. Mind you, when I was using crimped wire foundation, they would at times chew holes in the foundation near the corners ( now I believe they call them communication holes, I call it chewed foundation.)
    Barry

13. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I also have black (deep) and yellow (med)... Here is a pic of the black with the eggs...only way I saw the eggs (only thing that worked out for me in my messed up hive)

3.png

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great picture Medic. :thumbsup: I run black in my deeps (and white in my supers) for just that reason. I figure queens prefer dark comb so I give them dark foundation. I didn't really have to use excluders when my supers were on because the foundation and comb were so light coloured. Once they find there way up there and lay in it once though, it's excluder time.

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

barry said:
    "they would at times chew holes in the foundation near the corners ( now I believe they call them communication holes, I call it chewed foundation.)"
    lol, my mentor said the same thing, but he believed it was.

medic that is a great picture, and as perry said:
    " I run black in my deeps (and white in my supers) for just that reason.(to see the eggs) I figure queens prefer dark comb so I give them dark foundation."

i do the same.

16. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Out of the mess I have with the hive .. its the only good thing so far...

17. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well then that means you had a Queen 2-3 days before dem eggs were laid...