Please, please, this is the last one, I promise!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Noronajo, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

2011: Only 2 hives, just for comparison purposes, you know. 2012: Wow! 6 swarms from one hive-who knew? Lost 2 from robbing in late summer- learned another valuable lesson. 2013: Sudden late spring freeze claims 2-only 4 left. Ordered 3 All American queens to start 2 more hives and requeen another- they were quickly superceded . Drove up to bee yard 14 miles north to split an overpopulated hive- too late! Swarm landed way, way up in old native pecan tree- 30 minutes later I waved goodby as they spiraled up and over the Caney River. I found 3 more frames with 2-3 queen cells so made 2 splits and left several really pretty cells that were close to hatching. All 8 plus 1 TB hive are in good shape and lo and behold!- the beek that my friend I'm teaching beekeeping got his nuc from has one last nuc the last of June-$75.00- how can I pass that up? I checked it out after I delivered it to my bee yard- 6 frames of brood and busting with bees- it already needs a second deep! Will this be enough? Is it too late for me? Twelve sounds like a nice round number to me!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With 6 frames of brood and needing a super added already, I would say yes. I am still nursing some along that are not even that far and plan on them making it through the winter.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

OH 24 sounds more rounded to me :lol:...................maybe next year.

4. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I believe you are an enabler! :lol:

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

yes I sell bees also :lol:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Actually, 50 sounds like a rounder number! :wink:

7. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

pretty soon you can fill small pollination contracts:)

8. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Pretty sure my ambitions are more modest than all your hilarious suggestions but some addictions sure can slip up on you!

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm at 22 right now after starting with 2 last spring. I've paid for a nuc and a package. The rest are splits or captured swarms.