Plumbing stuff....

Discussion in 'The Helpful Handyman' started by BjornBee, Apr 18, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have a shower stall that has a bad shutoff. It seems to turn on by itself. We are looking to put in a new shower later this year. But in the meantime, if we are not at home, and the shower comes on, it will slowly fill and run over. (Don't ask about the way they installed this originally....they were idiots) The overflow drains directly into the floor and floods the room below.

So I wanted to put in a shutoff valve to the cold and hot water line to the bathroom. Yes, there are no shutoffs at all after the line comes into the house unless you shut the whole system down.

So I bought two ball valves called "Viperlok". They are solderless, and slide on the copper pipe. Can also be used with pvc and pex systems.

I was a little leery, not using the standard copper, solder, heat, etc. But I've done much plumbing in the past. It went very well.

These viporlok pressure valves work great. :thumbsup:

Some pretty slick stuff on the market nowadays. :drinks:

2. Charles

Charles New Member

Sounds like the sharkbite fittings we have here. I used pex and sharkbites on my last plumbing project and they were great. Pretty pricey but what you save on pex vs copper more than makes up for it!

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm going to have to look into these!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

be careful on some of the newer stuff.... materials and connections.

we have already begun to see some problem here with the newest 'better idea' in plumbing. it seems to me the old stuff stood the test of time quite well before someone decided they knew how to construct a better way to separate you from your money.

one person has reported to me a $14000 repair bill related to using the newest 'cost saving' idea in the plumbing business.

I didn't even know they made overflow drains on showers.

5. kenn

kenn New Member

I also got this great tip about viperlok. Well, i guess that's proven! :thumbsup:

6. peterjunks

peterjunks New Member

The shutoff valve would be the greatest measure you can do. Plumbers should install that correctly for a better outcome of the shower. The overflow drains should be properly installed.

My TV shows

7. John67x

John67x New Member

I put a viperloc shutoff valve in a copper line almost 3 years ago and haven't had a problem yet. It was in a spot that was very difficult to solder, not to mention setting other materials ablaze with torch, which is why I gave it a try.

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I helped build/convert my home from a church into a residence and was able to use red and blue pex lines with the anti-bacterial lining. It is great stuff! Most anyone can use the stuff. Talking to shut-offs, we went the extra mile and installed a manifold by which all plumbing in the house enters and can be turned off and an by the turn of a diamond shaped key. All lines are isolated.

9. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have used them a couple of times where I could not solder. As a temporary measure, go for it, but as Tecumseh mentions, they can give trouble over time especially if they are flexing around a valve that is used and abused often or with water hammer the gripping teeth can wear into the pipe and lose its bite. Some combinations of materials and humidity can set up electrolysis that eat away at the grippers. If you put one behind your outdoor hose bib, dont tie your rotweiler up to it!

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

kenn---
    Glad to see you've come out of anonymity and chosen to make your first post. It gives us a chance to send you a (belated) welcome. Actually, it's kinda funny--you've been a member of the forum much longer than I have, and here I'm welcoming you.
    Where in the BIG USA are you located?

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

Well my copper lines sure did not do the test of time, solder the line under the bath room once and a hole came into the pipe again, put the fittings on all cold water lines and ran pvc to them, just got this done last week. I was tired of digging out dirt under the concert slab to get to it. Sure am glad I don't have claustrophobia in this little space to do the work. Had to rerout the cold water line to the kitchen because the line got a hole in it going under my furance, about have all the cold water lines replaced now.

kebee

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ef, Kenn was a spammer from Manilla, Philippines, and made one post in 2010 and never came back.

13. kebee

kebee Active Member

That ok, I still got to spill off my bad part on the copper pipe I have here, must have been a bad batch happens even in a car sometimes haha. Oh and had to replace every thing in my toilet and washers in my shower.

kebee

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

How big a drain pipe is in your shower? i can turn mine on wide open and leave it without a problem, it's a 3x3 ft. fiberglass shower with no over flow. Jack

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Iddee--you called my attention to how important it is to read the date when a thead was started, not only when the last post in the thread was posted. :oops: As a result--I looked back and discovered that peterjunks's last post (#6 in this thread) was also from the distant past--and he's not been heard from since. :lol: