Polish Beekeepers Defeat Monsanto

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Beefarmer, May 22, 2012.

1. Beefarmer

Beefarmer New Member

2. Beefarmer

Beefarmer New Member

what a good and heartening news

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

While interesting , and good that Beekeepers have banded together to fight big Pharma....

We use BT on honey comb to fight wax moth and it does NOT affect bees..... So I wonder how scientific their research was.

This forum ran a special with free BT to new supporters , and it has definitely worked on comb I extracted. Sitting in the open in my garage for a month now and wax moth has attacked another frame I forgot about that had not been sprayed. Luckily caught it early and froze it.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

While I side in favor of bees, I have to side with Zulu on this one. The Europeans seem to have worked themselves into an irrational tizzy with regard to any genetically modified crops. They are accusing them of anything that will stick, rational or not. Proved or unproved. I would tend to think of corn with BT genes as a benefit to beekeepers, helping us to fight the battle against wax moths.

5. BeesRawk!

BeesRawk! New Member

You should watch this documentary on Monsanto (the creator of Roundup) "The World According to Monsanto" There wasn't any talk about how GMO affected bees, but there are views of abnormal growth of flowers and corn ears. When I have some more time, I think I'll look into if there has been any study on how GE pollen and GMO affect bees. Monsanto had falsely advertised its herbicide as "biodegradable" and claimed it "left the soil clean".

@ Zulu, What proof do you have that BT has no affect on your bees? I'm asking this with no intent to start an argument, I really would like to know how you came up with your statement.

I use only Pyrethrin on my lavenders- damn spittle bugs- and hand pluck the catipillars. Here's some info on that;

Pyrethrins are considered relatively nontoxic to mammals, including humans. However, pyrethrin I is deemed a "Restricted Use Pesticide" by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and its availability and use is limited to certified applicators. This may be due to the fact that pyrethrins are highly toxic to fish, and moderately toxic to birds and bees. Pyrethrin compounds do not persist in the environment since they readily biodegrade when exposed to oxygen, moisture and sunlight.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-world-according-to-monsanto/

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

BeesRawk!:
    I watched it all! Am left sort of speechless. Whereas much of the documentation is convincing, I think that the editor of the film did selective editing of her own. The segment on GMO corn reaching Mexico is particlarly disturbing and honestly raises scientific questions. The question of economic control of the farmers, in the US, India and SA is very worrying.
    I ask--doesn't US law prevent the total takeover of and industry by one firm? (Like the break-up of AT&T).
    :think: