Pollen and wax - in North Dakota - in March!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

Yup,

Looked in on two hives yesterday (temp was 71F!). One hive had 6-8 frames of bees, a frame of brood and was bringing in a gray pollen which I assume was from one of the trees around here (probably Siberian pea bush, if I had to guess).

The other hive was jammed with bees - over 8 frames easy. There were a few frames of brood as well. I have a couple of frames in the hive which have not been completely drawn out and there was new, white wax on them.

Unbelievable. My biggest concerns now are a radical shift in the weather before anything else blooms and swarming.

Mike

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

that shift in the weather has bit us before. Keep an eye on the hives to make sure they continue to have enough feed. If the weather shifts to the bad and they are rearing brood they will blow through the stores in a hurry

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Another thing to worry about is if they have so much brood that the bees standing on it will not leave it to form a cluster and could loose the whole hive. There was a keep up on the plateau last year that this happened to.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yup, those thoughts are on my mind, all the time. Since started beekeeping I'm like farmer, always looking at the sky, and checking weather channel.:smile:

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

Weather for the next two weeks is forecast to be mild (at least for us). I am certainly concerned about a shift though. We have had April and even May blizzards before!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a not so different problem here...

the bees are all brooded up with little feed resources and everything is blooming. the blooming tells me a hive can fill up fast but the lack of feed resources means 3 or 4 days of raining cold weather means some hive will perish. at this point faith in 'the girls' and numbers is what I have to fall back upon.