Pollen collectors in Africa

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by SimonTurner, May 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SimonTurner

SimonTurner New Member

Does anyone know the hole size for pollen collectors for the African bee (Apis mellifera scutellata)?

The African bee is slightly smaller. (19mm) and the european collectors I have are not knocking the pollen off the back legs.

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I've no hands on experience of scuts or African beekeeping.

I've looked at European pollen traps and built myself a Canadian type. What kind of trap are you using ? Entrance trap ? Underfloor trap ? Over brood trap ? Horizontal Screen ? Vertical screen ?

Are you not worried that a pollen trap will alter the temper of the scuts or cause them to abscond ?

I've read that making the bees pass through 2 separate but slightly offset layers of mesh can help. I found "ladders" helped in a trap.

3. SimonTurner

SimonTurner New Member

Thanks Owd,

We are amending an entrance trap. Yes I am concerned over absconding so we are testing but the issue is the bees are not relinquishing their pollen.

If you have any pictures of offset layers of mesh and ladders that sounds interesting and something we'd like to experiment with.

Many thanks
    ​Simon