Pollen in March

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Mar 7, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee Active Member

Went out to four yards today. Temps in the 50's. All yards had bees bring in pollen. I know we have more winter to come. But I was thrilled to see the bees so active and able to do some work. Not bad for central Pennsylvania. :Dancing:

:drinks:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the first goodly quantity of pollen I see here is usually elm. there must be some variation even within elm as a wood species since some of the elms seem to bloom very early and others perhaps two weeks later.

for almost anyone a hive bring in lot of pollen after a nasty cold winter is certain the first good sign that a hive is active.

ps... good luck on the coming season.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

The only thing blooming here is the pussy willow in my yard and they are all over it. Some bees are flying toward the creek and bringing in pollen, probably from the river maples or willows, They are the first trees to bloom here. Things are looking up. :thumbsup: Jack

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All 3 of my hives are bringing in gray pollen. Don't know what it is, but glad to see it anyway. It means I have brood.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Yesterday was the first day that I was able to observe my bees coming and going. They were bringing in bright orange pollen from somewhere. I wonder if it was crocus blooms. My pussywillow is blooming, but I didn't see any bees working it.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

If our temps hold up for a bit longer the skunk cabagge will start blooming. that stuff will bloom even in a snow storm once it is ready. the bees work it here sooner than any thing else. The pollen is gray in color, like the croucs.

:mrgreen: Al

7. Derek

Derek New Member

I don't have allergies but I check pollen.com almost daily to get the reading for our area. Elm has been high which is our really first good pollen source.

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Bees are coming in covered in yellow pollen, here, too. I have no idea where they are getting it.

Al - you may be interested to know that skunk cabbage actually generates its own heat in order to melt its way up through snow. I've read that bees go inside and warm up (while collecting pollen) before making the chilly trip back to the hive.

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Knew that about the heat, not the bees warming inside though.

:mrgreen: Al