Pollen in North Texas?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

What the heck were my ladies bringing home today. Traffic jam at 4 pm, returning traffic....

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

No Pictures Gypsi? at least tell us what color it is?

3. Gypsi

Not bright yellow. I was putting the goat
    Up, near dusk, they didn't appreciate my
    Curiosity, I had to back up.

4. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Hi Gypsy,

I am near you in North Texas. There is nothing, pollen wise, going on right now anywhere near me. My guess is they got in a feed sack or something. I have even seen them try to bring in sawdust this time of year. I walked 10 acres today looking for signs of clover or vetch and found 4 Spring Beauty flowers. I was very surprised to see them since we havent seen the sun for 3 weeks until yesterday. Been pretty cold too.

5. Hawk

Hawk New Member

My full hives are in outyards near Tyler and Farmersville - but my nucs are all in my back yard in Richardson. One had frozen out last week (too few bees to keep the nuc warm) - so today the other nucs were robbing out it's stores. Haven't seen any pollen coming in here, yet, though.

6. Gypsi

Thank you Apis and Flyman and Hawk. I couldn't find a trace of a bloom around either. Checked my elm and my oak and sweetgum, but it is too early even for the trees. So I am building a pollen feeder and putting sub in it, hanging it on the front porch. New design. Peanut butter jar (with traces of peanut butter still in it for 'sticky'), couple of holes drilled in the lid, hung sideways. I think 3/8" holes.

One of the hives with the biggest traffic jam really needs more bees, they were all down in the bottom box, center 2 to 3 frames (deep). If they are trying to find pollen, their queen is ready to lay? I'm hoping.

Gypsi

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

I saw a lot of activity outside of the hive today also, but they were not bringing in pollen. Seemed to be mostly cleansing flights and maybe even some orientation flights. They were enjoying the warmer weather. They were also pulling a lot of dying bees out of the hives. Kind of sad, since they weren't all dead yet. But I guess they figure if you can't contribute, you're out of here.

8. Gypsi

I thought mine were just doing orientation and mortuary duty until the almost dusk traffic jam. I really think the late returning bees were at least looking for pollen.

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

I saw several bees visiting the bird baths also. Not as many as in the early spring, but they were there needing the water.

10. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Yep, saw lots of activity yesterday and was glad to see it. The girls were out spotting up my new truck and generally snooping around.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

12. Gypsi

It needed initiated. The better to fly to dfw with his gorgeous queens...

13. Gypsi

Pollen sub is moving right along today, at 70 degrees.

14. GrayGuy

GrayGuy New Member

Gypsi, I noticed my girls bringing in pollen by the truck load, Feb. 5. I am in Granbury, TX. near the Brazos river, the pollen is orange brown and a beige color. As of today March 2. It's still coming in although not quite the same quantity.

15. Gypsi

Today I've got all kinds coming in. I'm not much on Bradford pears but I think my bees have a different opinion