Pollen, just my luck !

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Murrell, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Bee's packing in [elm/cedar] pollen today, after I thawed pollen patties last night;
    Per, " get those things out of the freezer this year, I need the room "

Murrell

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, of course... You haven't read Murphy's obit, have you? He's still alive and well. :wave: :D

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

71 degrees slight wind,
    I did use veil & smoke to put patties on, but they sure were testy, followed me all the way back to the house.

Don't believe I have ever seen so many bees this early, but still believe too early to reverse and add another box. Oh I use all mediums.

Till about Mar 15 we could drop into the teens.

Murrell

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

yep that's what I keep waiting for, that big drop in the temps and a hard freeze.

Had our state man tell us that last year, which was much like this year so far.....warmed up early, that one keeps hives were just exploding with brood and the bees were stretched to cover it good. The beekeep was worried about his hives in the upcoming drop in temps and freeze. On 1/2 of his hives he pulled 1/2 of the brood frames and shook the bees from it. This made the population density much higher and allowed the bbs to form a cluster again instead of being spread out trying to cover the brood (which was no longer there). Those hives survived and the hives he left all of the brood in took big losses.

That was really thinking outside of the box if you were to ask me.