Pollen or Honey?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Paul Cottier, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Paul Cottier

Paul Cottier Member

I have heard experienced beekeeps say that pollen is most important to bees during winter while others just as experienced say honey is more important. Is there one resource to bees that is more important in winter or are they just blowing smoke? Together they provide all the nutritional values but....? Any thoughts?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

the bees need enough honey to make the winter, im sure the pollen also gives nutrients to the bees during the winter, I dont think it makes for any argument on which is needed more, the bees will stock up on what they need, just make sure you leave enough honey in the hive to feed on during the winter..sometimes you can ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers...

3. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

Do some reading about winter bees. There store up vitelogenin which is a high fat high protein depot in their body. Remember the winter bees are long lived and there will be very little brood raised (compared to summer) so the colony protein requirement is pretty minimal until they begin to build up in the spring.

However there is no where near enough energy stored in that vitelogenin to generate the heat needed to keep the cluster from freezing. That requires fuel (honey). So assuming the bees are in good health and have built up adequate vitelogenin, the first requirement is honey so they don't freeze.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with ccjersey - but come spring, meaning Dec 22nd in Texas, you will want some pollen sub out so bees can hit it as the weather starts to break, to feed the brood the queen will begin to lay. My early winter fondant is just sugar water and cream of tartar. Toward spring I add pollen sub to the fondant recipe.

5. roadkillbobb

can you post your recipe for both fondants? thank you

6. Gypsi

7. roadkillbobb

ok thank you, all printed out, I just have to buy a candy thermometer..

8. Gypsi

I had to buy one, bought it, lost it, had to buy another one. It is a pretty forgiving recipe but don't walk away.