Pollen plugged frames.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 9, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Going through some of my hives, I noticed that a few of them have brood areas that have been disrupted by frames with pollen scattered about. I will find patches of brood interspersed by pollen, frames with one side covered in pollen with brood on frames on either side, etc. It seems to be hard to find nice solid frames of end bar to end bar brood with these patches of pollen jammed in everywhere. Some frames at first glance have a shotgun brood appearance to them but on further examination I realize that the queen is just laying where she can!
    Will the bees move this to allow more room for the queen to lay? If I could, I would somehow remove all this pollen to allow the queen unfettered access to completely empty comb instead of having her search all over for space to lay eggs. Is there some way to get the bees to either use or move this pollen? Should I cull these frames and put in new foundation in order to get new drawn comb for her to lay in? Seems that would be a waste.

2. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Is it time for a super?...That will give her room, and supply ingredients for honey, thus making the needed room
    ...Just a supposition.
    LtlWilli

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I move the pollen frames to the outside of the boxes and the empty frames to the center. If none are empty, I add a box and put the pollen to the outside of the new box.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Perry Bee <Snip>Some frames at first glance have a shotgun brood appearance to them but on further examination I realize that the queen is just laying where she can! <Snip>

I saw some of that scenario too and wondered whether it would take some "event" or deliberate action to break the cycle. I thought of the fragmented hard drive analogy. There are also some nice big fields of quite solid capped brood on other frames, so I am not about to start "fixing" things way above my head! There is just so many different clues before eyes to make my imagination go on excursions.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee said.... most especially if a frame is solid pollen. a solid frame of pollen will invariable block the brood nest expansion in that direction. they will slowly consume the pollen but I don't think they will move it readily. I am not certain where in the season you are but feeding just a bit for me often gets the pollen converted into more brood pretty quick.