Pollen tube

Discussion in 'Beekeeping Biology' started by Bcrazy, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Bcrazy

Bcrazy New Member

As keepers of bees we all know the value of pollen for our bees, but what about the pollination of plants by pollen grains?

I carried out a small experiment to show the pollen grain and the pollen tube.

The next is from Wikipedia and explains the function of the pollen tube.
    In angiosperms the pollen tube germinates from the pollen grain and grows the entire length through the stigma, style, ovary and ovules to reach the eggs. In maize, this single cell can grow longer than 12 inches to traverse the length of the pistil. The sperm cells by themselves are not motile and are carried within the tube. As the tip of the tube reaches an egg it bursts and releases two sperm cells leading to a double fertilization. One sperm unites with the egg cell to produce the embryo of a new plant, while a second sperm unites with the central cell(polar nuclei) to produce the endosperm of the seed. The endosperm is rich in starch, proteins and oils and is a major source of human food.

So now we understand how the plants germinate, and I have taken a couple of photo's to show the pollen tube

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All I can say is..... WOW!!!

And glad to see you back. We've missed you.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well HELLO there stranger, glad you came back with more of the amazing pics.

Those are great pics of what the bees are helping to accomplish. Never really knew how all of that worked with the pollen.

By the way what is the UK bee forum you hang out at? I lost the link you gave me before I could even get there the first time.

G3

4. Bcrazy

Bcrazy New Member

Thank you for the welcome, now the bees are tucked up in bed there is now time to put my thoughts to the microscope.
    G3 the link is
    http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/index.php

Everything seems to go dead now were into the quiet period.

Best wishes to you all,

Regards;

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Awesome pictures Bcrazy! Good to see your back!