Pollen?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by wyvern, Feb 1, 2012.

1. wyvern

wyvern New Member

My one hive seems to be bringing in a light yellow pollen at about a bee every thirty seconds. I don't need to feed pollen patties if this is going on, do I? This is my only hive, and I am a little paranoid about keeping them alive. I am feeding them 1:1 Sugar water now.
    Donnie

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you have good pollen coming it there is little advantage to feeding some substitute product. it is good early on in the season to check frames for pollen reserves and decide from that information whether to feed pollen like products.

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

I noticed the same thing with my 3 hives today. I've seen them bringing in pollen lately, but nothing like it was today. It looked like orientation flights there were so many bees coming and going from the hive, but they all had (well nearly all) pollen sacks packed full of yellow or red velvet looking pollen. Other than some henbit and a few dandelions, I don't see anything else blooming, so I'm wondering if I need to start feeding some 1:1 sugar water to supplement. If there is plenty of pollen, does that mean there is enough nectar also?

4. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I started feeding 1:1 sugar because, on inspecting the hive I found they had run out of honey stores. Lost one hive this winter, didn't want to lose the remaining one.