Ponderosa vs Southern yellow pine species.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jponder, May 23, 2011.

1. jponder

jponder New Member

How did Ponderosa Pine get to be the end all of hive construction? I just cant see it being superior to Long Leaf Pine or other Southern species.

So what am I missing? Why is there no widespread manufacturing of wooden ware in the south using our indigeneous species?

I have a 80 acre tract of longleaf that i have often looked at and thought what awesome supers they would make.

Someone educate me on this Ponderosa and why people pay the insane shipping from the west to the south when we should be pumping out or own woodenware.

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

3. jponder

jponder New Member

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

might I suggest 'la differance' (<tryin' to sound frenchy here for the southern Louisiana crowd) would be weight and price.

given the time line required to grow long leaf pine into something you can cut a board from would greatly affect the price.

jponder writes:
    Why is there no widespread manufacturing of wooden ware in the south using our indigeneous species?

tecumseh:
    might I suggest you have stated the ugly underbelly of the 'world trade' rationalization. Why would anyone want to pay you a living wage when they can ship this product off shore and have the same job done at slave labor rates? Would the buyer of such timber be willing to pay significantly more to the growers for long leaf than for yellow pine?