Poor Drones

Discussion in 'Bees' started by Crofter, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I saw a worker pushing a drone up the hive front and around to side. She appeared to be nipping his tail; he finally buzzed off. I have been harassing them too and culling drone brood and looking for mites. 017.jpg 018.jpg 021.jpg 023.jpg So far not a one off about 1/4 of both sides of this drone frame. Have to do some further tests but it is looking like maybe not having to treat for varroa the end of summer. This is my 35$ super capping scratcher! The chickens got a feast.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:goodpost::coolphotos: And that folks, is how it's done! :thumbsup:
    Did you ever think to try those green drone frames Frank?

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I bought a few but I think they went into some of the deeps my son runs for honey supers. This particular frame is one I made that has a built in starter strip but any ordinary frame will do. Cut a big gaping hole in the centre of a plastic frame and they will fill it with drone brood. If you are going to flush them out or freeze and give back to the bees to clean they are less apt to collapse on you if you string some wire or monofiliament line for them to build the comb into. After the brood emerges you can also move to the outside of the hive and they will fill with honey or pollen. I tried letting the bees clean out a frame I froze and the result was one heck of a stinking mess just off the front of the hive.

Different ways to do it. One is to put in a part sheet of worker foundation and they will just build drone on the bottom which you cut out and stick the frame back in immediately. Check for mites and feed the chickens later. Giving them some dedicated drone laying area does prevent unwanted drone brood creations that make pulling frames difficult and endanger the queen. I probably put in more area than I needed so that could be played with. I feel there are no other drones within flying distance so have to provide my own. All depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Good job Frank. Keep those mites on the defensive. Better yet, continue to keep them out of your hives altogether.:clapping: