Possible buy

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Mar 17, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

My land keeping lord use to raise bees 8-9 years ago. Have a few items we want to trade for 15 pounds of honey this year to make mead. What he has. I know there are no pictures to look at to get a feel for what the cost would be but, bear with me. Wat he has is a complete single story deep complete hive. The kicker is it is made of Styrofoam. Plastic frames and foundation also, comb cutter, wax decapper, 1 medium hive box and 1 honey shallow. All have wax foundation from Dadant with the metal bars down the sides. also, foundation to make comb honey. He has a full beekeeping suit that Im not sure yet will fit. Might my son. Don't know yet. Also, a plastic barrel 2 frame extractor that's never been used. Really im only interested in is the comb cutter, shallow, medium and foundation, the decapper, and possible suit. oh, a smoker that I haven't seen yet.And the suit if it fits and in good shape. Take in mind all this is 9 years old. What would be a fair trade?

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

That much honey would be maybe 100$ retail. Maybe not too bad if the items have not seen too much sun but not worth as much (to me) as wooden ware would be. The bee suit could lose its screen from light and ozone exposure so I would not put a lot of value in it. I wouldnt just fawn all over it!

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

The foundation is sill in the box. Never used. Frames are in great shape. all been indoors and stored.Brad problem there is only 1 med. and 1 shallow supper. For what Im looking at to buy what kind of price are we looking at.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

let us say the honey in a pale is worth $5/lb... that comes to $75 (a gallon and a quart). about the price of a couple of the items. and pretty soon having an extra suit for someone else always come to good use.

if the frames are the same for wood boxes as styrofoam you can always trade out and use the styrofoam for 'extra' equipment. and an extra smoker or hive tool has great value if you ever displace (I know I often do) either.

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I'd say that you'd be getting the best end of that deal if you can provide the honey.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I called him and he had put it on Craigslist and sold it in 2 hrs. Made $250. Drats!