Price of queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Feb 11, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just got my membership renewal for the NS Beekeepers Association. Same price for dues but the cost of queens (Kona, Big Island) has gone up! :shock:
    Queens 1- 24 = $30 each.

And this year they are coming with the added proviso that there may be a delay if SHB is found and the queens have to be recaged upon arrival. I cancelled my order last year when they found SHB. Don't know why they're allowing them in. (Well, maybe I do, too many big guys need the queens for splits.) I guess I'll limp along and make up any losses in June when I can raise my own and pass on any pollination.

2. Tyro

Tyro Member

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Not surprising at all.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Not the only thing in bee supplys going up, even the boxes, frames, tools and other supplys. I notice this when I figure what I needed at first of year and than when I went to put in order every thing had increase in price, oh well just got to do what you got to do.

Kebee

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in economic thinking price increases are defined as cost push or demand pull. in this case (and my observations in regards to the price of bee keeping stuff is exactly the same as Kebee) I suspect you are witnessing both happening at the same time.

ps... not for everyone but it does give some added incentive to producing your own queen. with some local cooperation amongst small scale bee keepers you might even pleasantly shock yourself with your own results.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks Tyro:

I just figured we Tundra folk were getting squeezed with the cost of queens, turns out we all are. Time to do like a few others here (Omie, etc.) and start raising our own and try to overwinter'em.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as I think I have suggested to your previously Perry... Michael Palmer seems to like the idea of later season splits + queens and then overwintering. being only from Vermont he may not qualify for Tundra Division membership... but he is awfully close?

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Perry,
    you might as well resign yourself, your Province actually, to having SHB. Drop the repackaging and get over it. They won't do any harm where you live.

It probably won't effect the price of queens. But, for Canada, were y'all to open the Border to queens from the lower 48, at least you would have access to more choice in queens.

A closed Border makes little sense to me. But it must be a money maker for someone in Canada.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mark writes:
    A closed Border makes little sense to me. But it must be a money maker for someone in Canada.

tecumseh:
    I seem to recall Mark that first the Canadians closed the border to US bees and then the US retaliated and closed movement in the other direction??? All over the discovery of trachael mites I seem to recall?

it does kind of show how a bad decision made long ago is difficult to reverse.

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Tracheal mites caused the border to be closed to bees going North, packages and queens. Which made no reason for Canadians to take bees South if they couldn't get back home. Those tracheal mites went across the Border anyway. Swarming bees don't respect manmade invisible barriers. Then Varroa went across the line. As have SHB.

And SHB will end up in Perry's back yard one day too, because humans are fallible. Someone will miss SHBs in Queen cages one day. I assume that Hawaiian packages are already disallowed there.

11. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Ouch! I pay $14 each, but I buy a hundred at a time. Good thing critters and things do not cross a line on the map.

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im all ready raising a few queens(lack of choice due to a faltering queen in a large hive) and just got the go ahead to put hives in a new location, a 5 acre lot thats in the middle of 25 lots the same size(1 good thing about builders not building new houses here) its a sub-division that went dead so Im going to increase my number of hives.

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

The Buckfast Queen I bought in October, was $35.00

14. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I buy my queens from a local guy that charges $18 for his Italians,and it's about a 40 mile round trip to fetch them.

15. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Sounds like $20-30 is the going rate for the most part. There is a local queen breeder here in west central Indiana (Danville) that is part of the Indiana Queen Project who has Pol-Line Hygenic and Indiana stock queens from his own line. They are $25, with $5 of that going back to the IN Queen Project. I'm gonna try both queens this spring when I do splits from my overwintered hives (provided they make it :beg: )