Pricing Question...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CeeGee, Jun 14, 2012.

1. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

I've sold nucs and hives and have prices set, but a guy wants to purchase 5 frames to make a split (bees, open and closed brood, honey, etc), but does not want an actual nuc with laying queen. He has his own box. So what's a decent price? (seems a REALLY nice guy, just wants to show his G'daughter the process)

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I would say to knock off $20.00 to $30.00 from your regular price for a nuc with a laying queen. Do you provide the box when you sell a nuc or does the customer provide the box? This would affect the final price.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gunny has it right. Take the price of a nuc and subtract the cost of a queen. They are of course assuming the risk of a failed rearing/mating/returning queen with their purchase.
    Box should be returned, it is not a hive.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would make sure you clearly explain you are not responsible if they dont Raise a queen or does not get mated. I would tend to shy away from doing this. Just to much to go wrong. specially if they are a newbie and its a granddaughter taking care of the hive. However if your comfortable with the deal go for it knocking 20 off sounds like a good price

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ceegee,
    what do you sell your 5 frame nucs for, so figure that minus the cost/return of the box (which is sometimes not returned, minus what you charge for your queens, go from there, 20-30 bucks is a good price as gunsmith said.

to riverrat's reply:
    "I would make sure you it is clearly explained you are not responsible if they dont Raise a queen or does not get mated. I would tend to shy away from doing this. Just to much to go wrong. specially if they are a newbie and its a granddaughter taking care of the hive. However if your comforatable with the deal go for it knocking 20 off sounds like a good price "

your words "seems like a nice guy", but to rat's point...a good point to consider. be fair but firm about your business protocol.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am assuming you are talking about selling frames of bees and brood (and likely some feed around the edges). price here seems to be somewhere between $15 and $20. in small numbers like you are suggesting the time required to set aside the bees and brood with no queen attached is not a trivial matter so the latter figure would sound about right to me.

7. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

I was also thinking simply of: nuc $-queen $ = frames price, but didnt know if I should calculate the risk factors in the pricing. Never had anyone ask this before (it's not like I sell alot of nucs/hives/queens, just when someone asks), so wasnt sure if there was a protocol.

This guy used to raise them in the 70s and 80s but got out of it. I thoroughly explained (and he agreed) the risk factor due to building cells, the ever-so-perilous mating flight, etc. He's got his own boxes too, so he is going to show up and I'm just going to drop in appropriate frames.

Thanks all for your answers