Princess Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by sqkcrk, Jan 24, 2010.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Why do we call virgin queens virgin queens? Why don't we call them princess bees? I'm going to start refering to them that way and see if it catches on. Anybody want to join me?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are you going to call drones "prince", or "stud bee"?? :lol: :lol:

G3

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can call them what you want, but I don't think you will get them to come to you, whatever you call them. :Dancing:

4. rast

rast New Member

Cuz I can say virgin easier and faster than princess.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well sqkcrk the princess name is already taken.

stud bee might have more marketing appeal than drone. What ye' say?

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I'm kind of a stickler for tradition. That may be the reason I personally do not like wikipedia.

Some beekeepers have a "list of terms" on their websites. They make their own definitions, often times wrong.

as example... They may describe a "hive in a tree" to describe a colony of bees. Traditional, a "colony" is the generic description for the makeup of a working unit of bees (Queen, workers, drones, etc.) And it has been used to describe a feral colony in a tree. However, a "hive" is a place that bees are kept by beekeepers (wooden box).

You would not hear someone say "There is a hive in that tree". Just as you would not use "colonies" as a description to where you keep bees.

Correct:
    I saw a colony of bees last night in a tree.
    I arrange my hives last night on new pallets.

Incorrect:
    I saw a hive last night in a tree.
    I arranged my colonies last night on new pallets.

Seems there are some that think because they have a website, they have the right to make crap up as if they can trump hundreds of years of tradition.

I actually like Mark's idea, for conversation purposes. But for me, I think "virgin" clearly indicates an unmated queen. "Princess" indicates a "lady in waiting" scenario, but would not clearly define one as being unmated. Not all princess' are virgin.... ;)

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

although I do on occasion like to mangle the english language (for the entertainment value only) I agree with bjorn here. as a general rule it appear wikipedia tends to be definitions constructed by a lot of folks that know little about the topic at hand. wikipedia definitions as a rule tend to please the masses but appear all wrong to the professional in the audience <this alone should create warning in almost any thinking person's mind.

my take is the language of beekeepers is arcane enough without making it any harder for new beekeepers to understand what is happening. some folks (as above and suggested by bjorn) will 'reinvent the wheel' on a fairly predictable time line to capture their 15 minutes of fame. this demeaning of those who came before could be explained by a lack of experience or inability to read and understand what other have done. at some level you have to figure the folks that do this are either stealing or pilfering.

for myself, I am quite happy to stand on the shoulders of giants so I can see my way ahead and I don't really mind giving the giants credit for the view I am able to behold.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Thanks Mike. I think that I know the common understanding about how the Queen got her name, when previously it had been called the King Bee, but why do you suppose virgins didn't get called Princess? Though i agree w/ rast and others about virgin queen tells it like it is.

Wasn't Queen Elizabeth I called The Virgin Queen?

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

:) I may be tall, but not that tall. :)

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Many years ago I did have a hive in a tree, it was a bait hive I put up in a pine tree with the help of the front end loader of the tractor. You could see it from the main road and everybody that noticed it just had to ask what it was.

G3

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

And they said, "what is that nut doing up there".... :lol:

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is about the truth. I use to haul hives in the back seat and trunk of an old plymouth fury III, could move six hives easily

G3

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

g3 did you have one of those push bottom transmissions?

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No it was a little older than that, I am thinking a '71, not really sure now. Had the 318 engine I believe. Not much paint or interior but it got me from point A to point B and back again.

I was not stylin' but them I was not into that at the time either, my inner redneck was shining at the time. :shock: :lol: :lol:

G3

15. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

My first car, a plymouth also, was a 71 satellite. Also had the 318. Of course the car was 11 years old when I bought it as a clunker to rebuild.

I remember being able to stand inside the car along the engine to work on it. I must of dropped four transmissions in that car.... :thumbsup:

16. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

:) Get yer own Thread. :)

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks like we got distracted on sqkcrk thread... woops!

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It was a princess of a ride :lol: :shock:

does that get us back on track sqkcrk??

G3

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

really mark I think the question really fall into the official or narrative language styles.

for example a lot of us don't always call 'em worker honeybees some time we might refer to them as 'the girls'. so if you might wish to tag your newly emerged queen cells as princess that just fine by me... as I think it would be almost anyone in some casual conversation mode.