Problem hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by stugger57, Aug 13, 2014.

1. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

My hive was started from a swarm that had a queen. Recently I noticed that there was no new brood and the hive was getting weak so I added a frame of brood and a frame of capped honey from another hive. This has them motivated. I have searched for the queen 5 times and have not found her. I re queened last Sunday. Upon inspection three days later, I found the bees in the queen cage were dead and the candy had not been chewed at all. Strange. Even when I placed the queen cage in the hive the bees showed no interest in the new queen. Was this a fluke or a mistake on the queen provider? Should I try another re queening? Will the bees supersede if I just give them more brood and honey?

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I would not try another re-queening.

I would give the hive a frame of honey if the hive is low on stores.

You may have a new Q present that has not started to lay. I would not give a frame of brood. This could delay the start of laying.

If a Q is present you should see cleaned and polished cells. The bees would be working purposely.

Sometimes you get a hive that, despite all your efforts, does not thrive. If you have other hives, then your efforts should be towards these performing hives. If your poor hive is disease free then a final option would be to merge it to another hive.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

So is there anything this time of year that could motivate the queen to start laying?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I would start feeding 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 sugar water to make the queen think a flow is on, sometimes this will trick the queen into laying? If not i would combine. Jack