Problems with comb

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tpardoe, May 2, 2010.

1. tpardoe

tpardoe New Member

Hello everyone. I had bees a few years ago and now I'm starting back up again, but I'm facing one problem I don't remember having before: the bees are building combs in between the frames, connecting two frames together. Now, I've seen this twice in the two weeks I've had my two new colonies, and I'm hoping I won't have to knock these extra connectors off every other week. I was thinking it may just be a spacing problems and I'm trying different spacing patterns... any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. rast

rast New Member

Hi and welcome to the forum tpardoe. An assumption on my part is that you are using standard Langstroth frames. For proper brood spacing they should be pushed together so the sidebars touch each other and centered in the box. This done they should not be connecting the comb in the center of the frames together, but , depending on the nature of the bees they will build sporadically between the top bars. Some hives are worse than others about this. If they have built all the frames out in comb and you have 7-8 full frames of bees, it's time for another box. Keep in mind also that some bees just hate to use the 2 outside frames and would much rather build up.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Push your frames tight together. This eliminates most cross combing.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you are trying to install 9 frames of foundation in a 10 frame box, then yes they will build burr or wild comb between the frames sine the spacing is off.

The only way to space 9 frames in a 10 frame box is to use frames of drawn comb, and sometimes that doesn't always work out right.

Push them up tight and let the bees draw them out, next year you can space the drawn combs out. I would not space out brood combs, only frames for extracted honey.

Oh yeah.......welcome to the forum!!

G3

5. tpardoe

tpardoe New Member

That's my problem then... thanks so much for all of the help!