Problems With Wooden Ware Quality?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by litefoot, Mar 30, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I received my on-line order about a month ago. It was a shrink-wrapped pallet with enough components for 5 double deep colonies with 2 supers each. It arrived without any obvious shipping damage. But what I found today when I opened up the pallet was rather disappointing. The attached pictures were some of the worst defects of the bunch, but the overall number of cracks,knots and defects was surprising. The first picture is of a pitch pocket about 3-4 inches long and 3/8" deep in an unassembled medium. The second picture is of a saw overrun on a medium side board. The third picture is of the railed side of a medium that is so warped, I doubt it will be usable. Hard to see in the pic. These were commercial grade components. Maybe I'm being too picky, but these boxes aren't cheap and the workmanship/stock quality seems substandard. I won't name the distributor, until I give them a chance to respond to my pictures. Maybe it's time to follow Perry, Papakeith and others and build my own.

Attached Files:

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The first picture is commercial quality it is a sound knot that will not fall out and the defect is to the inside so this defect will not effect the usability of the super. The second the cut is deeper than should be aloud 1/2 the depth of the box should be the maximum, and it should have been placed to the inside of the box but because it is on the outside it should have been rejected. Piece 3 is useless, it is to warped. The frames could slip of the rabbets and wedge in the box. This piece was warped before it was even cut for a super. if you look at the rabbet it is narrower at the ends than it is in the center because of being warped when it was dadod.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good catch on that last pic Keith! :thumbsup: It's the little details that I miss. :wink:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Oh my! Yeah, they shouldn't have even let the bowed out of the building.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what apis said litefoot, hopefully the company you purchased from will replace without question and not charge ANY shipping.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would see nothing wrong in naming names!

7. mdunc

mdunc New Member

I dont know the supplier you purchased these from but the last couple boxes of foundation we've bought has been sub-standard. It was usable but had to be trimmed. For the price we pay for this stuff it should fit without having to be trimmed.

8. litefoot

litefoot New Member

OK, well it's Mann-Lake. I'll give them a chance to make it right. This is my third order from them and other than this, everything has been great.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

well I picked up a couple of used sbb's from a local bee friend, he bought someone else out, and I know what brand sbb I'll never buy new. One is so badly warped I don't think putting my truck on it would flatten it out...

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

mann lake is a good company litefoot, and i think you will find that they will take care of you. commercial grade woodenware varies by suppliers, but you also have to remember that the folks packing your wooden-ware are doing so for many other orders to get them out to you quickly, and they are pulling from stacks, and might not notice the imperfections.

11. litefoot

litefoot New Member

ML just emailed me a shipping notice with the replacement parts. They didn't require any proof of my claims. No questions asked. Kudos to them!

12. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I'm glad this turned out OK for you and thanks for letting us know.