proof read my plans

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by jesse.rizzo, Mar 27, 2014.

1. jesse.rizzo

jesse.rizzo New Member

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could proof read these plans for a langstroth hive. My first hive I sort of just winged it, and it works pretty well, but I'm sure I could do better in terms of fitting together perfectly, respecting beespace, etc.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jesse.rizzo

jesse.rizzo New Member

3. DMLinton

DMLinton New Member

Your plans generally look pretty good. There are a couple of things you may wish to double check. I make my frame rests 3/8" x 5/8" rather than 1/2" x 5/8" you show. It's really a matter of preference and I do not see why your dimensions would not work just as well as mine or visa versa. Perhaps more importantly, boxes should be 1/2" deeper than the frames. Hence, for a deep box where frames are 9-1/8" deep, the box depth would be 9-5/8" but your plan shows 9-1/2" for a deep. Again, this may be as much semantics as anything.

If you have "winged it" on your first hive and came up with a hive that works "pretty well", don't second guess your own sense of how it should be done.

BTW, I found the graphics in your original post easy to read.

4. jesse.rizzo

jesse.rizzo New Member

Thanks for the response. The frame rests either way would be adequate bee space, so I think both should work. But as far as the box depth, I already have 3/8 inch space between the top of one frame and the bottom of another. Wouldn't increasing the box height create too much space there?

I may have oversold myself when I said I "winged it" More accurate would be "poorly followed plans so that I had to adapt on the fly". This time I want to be sure I 100% understand what I'm doing before I make the first cut.

5. DMLinton

DMLinton New Member

Most of the deep Langstroth plans and specs I have seen provide for frame depth plus 1/2". I have to say though that I have seen a lot of "standard" Langstroth plans that do not agree with each other. My preference would be for closer to 1/2" between top of frames in one box and bottom of frames in the next box up. However, even with one hive and one year under your belt, you have infinitely more hands on experience than I (my first bees won't be here for at least six weeks.) so my expertise in the finer points should be considered accordingly.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

7. Capt44

Capt44 New Member

The boxes are wrong.
    for the rabbet joints in the short boards they should be 3/8 X 3/4 inch, the length of the short board is 16 1/4 inches for a 10 frame langstroth.
    The length of the short board for a 8 frame langstroth is either 13 3/4 or 14 inches long. There is no set standard for 8 frame width.
    The frame rest are cut into the top of the short board 3/8 inch deep by 5/8 inch wide.
    You are using a 3/4 inch thick board so a rabbet is cut 1/2 the thickness of the board which is 3/8 inch.
    Now the length of the long board is 19 1/8 inch long.
    When you put the long board into the rabbets cut into the short boards the box will be exactly 19 7/8 inches long x 16 1/4 inches wide.
    A langstroth's dimensions.
    The depth of the boxes are as follows.
    Deep ---------- 9 5/8 inches
    Medium ------- 6 5/8 inches
    Shallow ------- 5 11/16 inches.
    I build bee hives for the public.
    I use either rabbet joints or box joints whichever the customer prefers.
    I have dimensions on the bottoms, boxes, inner covers, and telescoping tops.
    Just send me an email and I can give them to you.