Proper Equipment Storage?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Pilotbeekeeper, May 1, 2012.

1. Pilotbeekeeper

Pilotbeekeeper New Member

I have 6 new supers, with new frames and new foundation that will not be needed this season. What is the best way to store them? OK to keep them in my garage, stacking on top of one another as long as I railed them off the floor and provide ventilation? I've seen storage racks used for boxes and frames with drawn comb on them, using blocks and 2x4's, but didn't know if that would be necessary for this new equipment?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Pilot

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep the mice out and the dust off. Keep them cool.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

pilot,
    you don't need anything special, i use pallets to stack my supers on, but as iddee said, keep them in a cool place, mice, etc. if you have an extra top cover or two, or a piece of plywood cut to fit the supers, place one on the bottom and one on the top. i use and cut plywood for 'covers' of this sort, one on the bottom and one on the top of my stacks.

4. Pilotbeekeeper

Pilotbeekeeper New Member

"cool" as in shade, or "cool" as in A/C?

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

cool, as in don't let the wax get warm enough to warp. A basement should do.

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

uho, I am going to have to move my extra frams than I have them stored in an metal storage shanty, and it gets alful hot in there.

kebee

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

uhoh.....hot metal shanty?
    you moving those frames?:grin:

you can also buy a plastic tub deep and or big enough to store your extra frames in, but store them some place cool.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

here the largest problem with new boxes, frames and foundation is of all things mud daubers <spelling highly suspect.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I use riverbees idea-plastic tubs from walleyworld and kept in the basement.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

works great, and you can stack them. the basement in my old farmhouse is nice and cool.
    foundation that's drawn, i have an old milk house on my property, stays nice and cool in there. stack supers and deeps on pallets with the plywood covers i mentioned earlier.
    tec, the mud daubers build under the eaves and gutters, along with the hornets and wasps, but mice, carpenter ants, and an occasional moth are my pests. the carpenter ants chew right through the boxes.