propolis and pollen collection affect hive performance (honey/brood) ?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by riverrun, Jul 30, 2012.

1. riverrun

riverrun New Member

Curious what effect collecting propolis and pollen has on diverting energy in the hive? Would it slow honey and/or brood production?

Are there any disadvantages to collecting either? I'd love to try it out, but would like to know how it affects them.

(This is in reference to using an actual propolis trap (in place of inner cover) and a pollen drawer (closing 3 days per week, as suggested).)

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Copied from a rant I got one last night when disusing honey excluders.
    Now that we're here discussing bee mortality one of the most damaging pieces of equipment is the pollen trap the mesh is tight on the bees in both directions and with two layers of wire mesh for the bees to maneuver thru, there are always lots of bee legs in the pollen tray. But we don't trap every day and pollen selling at a premium price, a few 5 legged bees isn't to high of a price to pay. They sacrificed there life for the greater good of the colony (beekeeper). The same as the bees that come out and sting you while your attacking there colony trying to steal their honey. We justify it as managed share cropping.
    Ok no more happy stories.
    As far as propolis the bees are aways bringing it in the hive, your just providing a place for them to put it.

3. riverrun

riverrun New Member

good to know thank you.

Would you say that having that propolis frame in there taxes their energies a bit though? Simply because if it wasn't there, they would not be needing to come up with nearly that amount of propolis (ie, they seal up the hive after I play around with it, then that's about it). Or perhaps even if it does, it's a negligible amount of work in the scheme of things?

Just wondering if you need to take any consideration or caution to take in using a propolis screen.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you have a need for or can sell it a a premium price it is no harder on the bees than gathering honey. In the hive depending on the age of the bees they preform different tasks. so even when your hive doesn't need propolis there are some bees that are still bringing it in, and if they require more the hive will allocate more bees to bringing it in. It's up to the beekeeper to decide what he wants out of his bees and manage them accordingly.
    Because bees preform different tasks at different stages in there life young bees will be in the hive cleaning cells, feeding brood drying honey attending the queen regardless of honey and pollen flows its not till the last weeks of a bees life that it ventures out to the fields to gather nectar and pollen. Some gather water, some scout, some defend, some fan. But if more bees are needed for a task the other bees will change jobs and help out immediately. If you don't believe me the next time your in to the hive and the odd guard bee is around but not paying much [FONT=&quot]attention[/FONT], Kick the bottom brood box 4 or 5 times and see how many bees all of a sudden become guard bees.
    The bees will adapt to the environment and tasks we but them in and if you have a market for propolis and pollen let the bees gather it for you.
    At the end of the day honey is one of the cheaper products of the hive. if your in a area that has poor honey flows it might be more advantages to do pollination and sell nucs. How much honey do you have to produce and sell to offset what you could make on 1 pollination set and selling 2 nucs? Then not worrying about a honey crop or swarming, maybe sell some extra queens. I Know another chapter in a book, my daughters when asking a question add "and the Readers Digest version". There's no simple questions nor answers.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

ApisBees said: " But if more bees are needed for a task the other bees will change jobs and help out immediately. If you don't believe me the next time your in to the hive and the odd guard bee is around but not paying much [FONT=&amp]attention[/FONT], Kick the bottom brood box 4 or 5 times and see how many bees all of a sudden become guard bees."

:lol: Too true!

6. riverrun

riverrun New Member

ok thanks appreciate the input, good thoughts!