Propolis question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Oct 16, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I went out to drop a final gallon/hive on my furthest outyard this afternoon. Took my wife's minivan instead of my truck so no tools handy :roll:. No problem filling up all the empty feeder buckets except one. Because they had been empty for a few days, one hive decided to completely propolize the screen that is melted into the lid. When I turned the bucket over I noticed that no syrup was coming out (until the vacuum held it in). I tried to scratch off the propolis with the only thing I brought, a hive tool. Needless to say I was not very successful. I did manage to open up a space the size of a pencil eraser but that was it. No matches or anything in the minivan to even burn or melt the propolis off.
    Given that the bees will know there is syrup up there through the tiny hole I managed to open up, will they remove or move the propolis to access the syrup more readily?

Attached Files:

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

That is what you get for taking a minivan!
    If they need it they wil figure it out.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Many times I've seen bees collecting propolis from an exposed empty hive box for recycling, but i've never seen any indication thet they move it from one place to another inside the hive.
    Does the minivan have a cigarette lighter? Held against the screen while hot, it might have been able to melt away the propolis. :doh:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No lighter in the van. :roll:
    Come to think of it, I don't know if there is even a lighter in my truck that I've had for 10 years. :lol:

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Wife doesn't trust you with hot objects?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Naw, she's the one always burning herself. I on the other hand am dangerous around sharp things. First Thanksgiving dinner we had her folks over for I almost took the end off my thumb carving the turkey. Probably should have gone to the emerge but didn't. Had a golf ball bandage on my thumb all during the dinner. :lol:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees will move propolis around in the hive. I have had hives totally close the inner lid oval hole in winter, then open it back up in the spring. They should open it if they want the feed, or close it totally if they don't.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thank you gentlemen! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

I closed up a hive last weekend and left the inner cover sticking out a little too far exposing some propolis. The next day I saw bees removing the exposed propolis. I had know idea why or what they were doing with it.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's easier for the bees to collect propolis from one concentrated source than to have to go searching all around for tiny bits. They were simply recycling it for use in their hive in any place they saw fit. With winter on its way, most likely it was either for sealing cracks between hive parts for insulation or for reducing the size of the entrance to direct the air currents entering the hive in the most desirable direction.

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

After you replied EF I started watching a block of wood that I was scraping the propolis off on from my hive tool. They were sealing the inner covers more than normally and had a lot of propolis between it and the supers that I was removing. The last few days there were probably a dozen bees working the propolis that I had scraped off and they were putting the propolis in their pollen sacks. Evidently they are much better than me handling the sticky stuff. It takes me several tries before I can get if off my tools and gloves :)