Prostrate Rosemary and Bee

Discussion in 'Bees' started by Walt B, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

This is the most blossom I've noticed from the Prostrate Rosemary. Maybe the dry of the summer scared it and it decided to bloom like crazy once we had a rain. Anyway, the bees seem to enjoy it.

rosemary.jpg Bee and rosemary.jpg rosemary and bee.jpg

Walt

2. markles

markles New Member

Hi Walt
    Thanks for the photos - interesting.
    I'm always amazed that Rosemary doesn't feature more prominently in the "plants that bees like" lists. We have one full grown plant that is covered in flowers for ten months of the year. For the first two months of summer (now) it doesn't have flowers but for the rest of the year it buzzes with bees. During winter its one of the few flowering plants in our garden. Because its so popular with our bees I've grown 25 cuttings that I've just planted out as a hedge border to a section of our garden. Hopefully this will greatly improve the winter forage options for our bees. Rosemary-1.jpg Rosemary-2.jpg

3. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Good idea. Rosemary makes a wonderful hedge, plus you get the rosemary scent when you brush against it. When we lived in an area where we could let our cat outside (no bobcats or coyotes), she often came in smelling of rosemary.

Walt