Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering blocking entrance and creating a small entrance via a small length of hose will the bee quickly find their way in and out

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
I don't know about that. I usually do reduce my entrances, but I just stick a piece of 1x 2 in the gap, leaving a smaller opening, and if I need it smaller than that put a couple of twigs in it. By the way, welcome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of a worker bees jobs is to protect the hive from other bees, wasps etc. They are guard bees. If you think that they are letting wasps in, then maybe the hive numbers are low. I'd block the entrance like Gypsi said. That gives the guard bees less area to protect. Be careful though, you still want good air circulation in the hive during the summer.

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
The reason I use screened bottom boards is the variable droughts north Texas has. We can go from flow to zip in 2 or 3 days, at which point robbing starts to interest the hives. So that I can use entrance reducers, and ventilate, I use screened bottom boards, with cover boards so the wind doesn't blow in (winter tends to shop up without warning here too), and ventilation from the slot for the sticky board is still there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts