Protective suits

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Aquila, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Aquila

Aquila New Member

Hello
    I would like to get an advice of professionals about protective suits that I can buy in the USA.
    Who can recommend the best model and mark? What is better to buy?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I have one from Honeymoon Apiaries and think it is wonderful! It is three layers that allow the air to pass, so you get a breeze, but is too thick for the bees to sting. I just put it on with no shirt and it is quite comfortable in our Texas heat. :thumbsup:

However, Honeymoon Apiaries is in Oklahoma. I don't know of any outlets, but it would be worth your while to contact him. GREAT customer service also. And, if you're going to be in Oklahoma, Texas is just down the road...Y'all come visit us, ya hear?

Walt

4. Aquila

Aquila New Member

OK as I have got Ultra Breeze is the best one. But I have a little concern about the view angle from this kind of veil and face safety. I have heard that in process work a face may be to close to mask.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't have the ultra breeze, but I do have a similar hood. Yes, I have gotten a sting or two on the chin, but not often enough to be bothered. I still prefer that type hood to any I have tried.

6. Aquila

Aquila New Member

This is a thing I"ve told about. I heard from colleagues that it is necessary to have baseball heat under this kind of hood. In this case a mask will not touch the face.
    In a same time it is possible to use a different kind of veils that does not have such problem and in a same time which are connect with suit by zipper and bees can’t go under it.
    Which suits with this kind of veils are better on American market?
    Look I am not on south but it is important to have good ventilation also. My other requirements are natural material, machine washing, good protection, comfort, good view from inside because I have glasses and reasonable price and a long period of using without problems.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, with all that, I guess this one might be best for you. :rolling: :rolling:

[​IMG]

8. XLB

XLB New Member

you crazy thing!! your funny. :shock: :lol:

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Always used a square folding Veil with helmet stiff enough to not collaspe and keep the more determined bees out

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Hi Aquila,
    I am not a 'professional', but....
    It would be helpful to know a little about your bee situation.... are you planning on working with a LOT of hives? Will it be a business or a hobby?
    If you only are going to have 2 or 3 hives for personal use, you might consider buying just a good veil and gloves (and smoker of course) and then wearing some normal clothes with perhaps an extra loose layer on top- a loose flannel shirt over another shirt...some loose exercise pants over your blue jeans, ankle boots with thick socks you can tuck your pants into....etc. I found that a thick fuzzy sweatshirt over my normal shirt seemed to be plenty of protection, along with some baggie cotton drawstring pants over my jeans. You just need to create some space between your skin and a stinger. ;)

For gloves, I am using a good pair of rubber gardening gloves with snug wrist, and then a nice flexible pair of deerskin leather gloves on top of those.

Of course, I haven't gotten my bees mad yet, so I have not been 'attacked' by any swarm. :chased:
    But I just wanted to ask what level of protection you think you might need?

11. XLB

XLB New Member

barry,
    that sounds alot like how we usually go into the bees. except we use square folding hat-less veils that bow in and touch our faces. whats kinda funny though is when WBB takes off her veil to find bees stuck in her hair and i (so kindly) squash the bees in her hair with a pair of boots because she already had her veil off and was rather worried about these REALLY mad bees, leaving bee guts all over her hair. :chased: :rolling: :rolling:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

aquila writes:
    OK as I have got Ultra Breeze is the best one. But I have a little concern about the view angle from this kind of veil and face safety. I have heard that in process work a face may be to close to mask.

tecumseh:
    I have never noted that problem. I have heard of folks being stung thru the top of the hood into their head (usually bald) which is why I wear a welders cap (it also acts as a sweat band).

I wear about every kind of suit you can imagine and each has a positive and negative aspect.

most days I simply wear my street cloths a western (stetson) hat and string veil. it is easy to get into and out of and is my most comfortable feeling rig for me.

on a rare and extemely hot day in the summer I pull out the ultra breeze jacket (purchased for me by another beekeeper that goes by the screen name of sundance). with anykind of breeze it is cooler and you could wear it with little more than a tee shirt... with the full suit some folks wear shorts under the suit. the fabric is such that there is little for a bee to sting... so it that regards it does likely somewhat reduce stinging. the visibility thru the face screen is definitely not as good as the visibility thru my string veil. thru one I can readily see eggs and thru the other I cannot (which means certain queen rearing process are a no go with the ultra breeze).

you standard dadant pollinators jacket. quite nice and easy to get into and out of. a better alternative (I don't have one) the sheriff pollinator's jacket looks quite nice.

your standard dadant commerical suit and zip on veil. really essential for any manipulation where the girls are bound to get extremely hostile like moving hives, making up splits in the early spring or shaking packages. it is my 'induatrial grade' suit. it is bulky and hot but the girls play hell tryin' to get to ya. the position of the zipper around the collar can have a major impact as to how easy the hood is to attach to the suit.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

If cost is an issue, you could try (as I have) a veiled jacket that can be worn over either heavy canvas pants or jeans, or a tyvek coverall.

Pullover jacket example: http://betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=602
    which is what I have. In retrospect, the zippered style may have been a better option for convenience.

Tyvek coveralls are about $10 at hardware and home improvement stores, but they are hot in summer.

14. Aquila

Aquila New Member

Who can tell about suits fron Blue Sky. They are from 100% cotton

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good grief! with all of those layers of clothes on I would pass out from dehydration in a short while.

I use to use a helmet and square foling veil until the helmet liner finally broke this spring. Got the Dadant jacket and hood combo to replace it, very well made and handy too. Only draw back that I can find is it is HOT. I like the helmet and veil since it will let a little breeze blow on your neck keeping you just a little cooler.

G3

16. Omie

Omie New Member

If I get that jacket & veil though, will I wind up with zombie eyes like the guy in the picture? Yikes! :shock:
    [​IMG]

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it does kind of looks like hussien right before they hung him.

the beard suggest he is an 'evil doer' wouldn't ya' guess.

18. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Wow, a cutout with no suit or veil on... now that's hardcore.

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Iddee is one with the bee :thumbsup:

He is just like a big ol' drone, just go around tickling the ladies and eating a little honey :lol: :lol:

G3

20. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Kare and I are big spenders. Mesh helmit from Mann Lake. I like the sheer veil Kare likes the folder. Long sleeve dress shirts from tan to white from salvation army store at $2.00 each and jeans we might have bought new or may have came from the salvation army store also. We do buy good gloves as I hate proplis on my steering wheel.

[​IMG]

Then I post a picture glove less :lol: .

:( Al