pulling honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Oct 2, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Am I the only one that hasnt got his honey pulled for the year. I'm so far behind I think i just lapped myself

2. Tia

Tia New Member

You're not alone. I've got a friend who's been meaning to do it but hasn't got round to it yet. She plans to harvest this week.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I don't do a fall harvest, so I'm either way ahead, or way behind, but no one can tell!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A fella is going to let me rob and work his bees (one stand that was given to him and he knows nothing about bees), there are six or seven supers stacked on. This hive has not been worked in several years so no telling what I am going to be getting into. Him and the fella who gave it away just want some honey in return.

Sound kind of like I might be getting the raw end of the deal some how, what do y'all think??

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

hopefully I will get it pulled this week I have quickly discovered that free time and weekends dont hardly exist when starting up a business but not complaining. better busy working than busy being the maytag man

7. beehandler

beehandler New Member

g3, if they haven't been worked in years, i would make sure that i had an extra queen on hand, then i'd make a split. it sounds like it is a strong hive. that way you come away with honey and an additional hive. maybe even knock down some of the testiness i'm sure they'll have.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tough to find an extra queen around here and even if I did they are not mine to take a split out of.

I guess I could always ask, some of the supers are in poor shape and need replaced or patched.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a riverrat snip....
    'Am I the only one that hasnt got his honey pulled for the year.'

tecumseh:
    by and large I have pulled most of my honey. in the last several years I have 'left' honey 'to be pulled later' which also provides 'emergency feed' resources in a yard if needed. most time the honey doesn't get pulled at all unless for some reason it gets in the way of a hive's manipulation.

10. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Whew! That makes me feel better! I haven't pulled any honey yet this year either. I am taking a personal day off from my 8th graders and I am going to pull honey this Friday. The temps are suppose to be 80ish, and we have had a good fall flow, so they surely packed that away down below. I did check my hives a couple- or three weeks ago and took off all the empty supers and combined them to where all my supers were full so they would HAVE to put that fall flow down below.

I have a question? If I have a super that just has a few frames of honey and the rest are empty what should I do with it if it is NOT capped? I know to process only the capped honey - so what do you guys do in that situation??? Just leave it on there??

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at this time of year I would be highly surprised if any uncapped honey was not fully cured. leave it on or take it off, it is your choice. most time here it comes down to making certain enough is left (with no excess space) and then whatever is left goes to the honey house.

12. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

All of my hives are double hive body, and when I checked them last time I just peeked down into the hive body and it was full of honey from one end to the other, with the exception of a new hive. Now I don't know what's going on in the lower hive body, but I do know that all of the hives were FULL of bees. But I bet when I get into them Friday, that one super I have on top won't be full, and I'll probably take it if it is capped.

I have always taken out a frame at a time and took it to the mule (Kawasaki)...that is...I usually smoke them a bit and then brush them off the frames. Any advise on a new trick??? I am going to put the frames in an ice cooler just because I can close the lid then take that to the house. Last year, I wasn't as careful and had bees at my back door for DAYS!!

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an arkiebee snip:
    I wasn't as careful and had bees at my back door for DAYS!!

tecumseh:
    with nothing going in the way of bloom and honey supers the above pretty much comes with the territory.

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Good grief, I've already sold all my honey for the year... thanks in part to Ducks' endorsement. :)

15. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Did 'da Rat ever get his honey pulled?

16. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

The next thing to killing yourself is pulling all your honey in one day. I ended up leaving some supers on and if I get to them fine, if not fine. That much more they can have this winter. I'll NEVER do that again - pull honey once a year - especially when I have to do it myself!!!

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I agree no need to kill yourself!!

18. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Not yet hoping maybe tomorrow

19. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I tell ya rat - it'll take the starch out of ya! Next year I am going to take honey in the spring as well - I learned my lesson the hard way...as usual!

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at my age I have found taking just a little bit at a time thru the season is much easier on this tired old body. this practice also encourages me to leave a bit more which acts as a feed reserve in each of my yards. at the end of the season (like right now) any hives that are short on supplies gets a bit of the honey from the reserve. ideally this allows me (in a good season) to begin winter/spring feeding much later.