Pumpkins and Seeds for Next year!

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by DonMcJr, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Here's some pumpkins from our Garden this year and seeds drying out to plant next year!

This is fun!

[​IMG]

Seeds for next year!!!!

[​IMG]

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Forget planting them...roast em, salt and season and devour....yum! :grin:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My uncle saved pumpkin seeds one year out of some pumpkins he bought from the Super market. We planted about an acre of them, they came up had big dark green vines 8 to 10 ft. long, bloomed set on. but the small pumpkins turned black and dried up on the vine? I ask my seed supplier if it was some kind of disease, he said your uncle probably saved seeds from a hybrid pumpkin.:lol: Make sure the seeds are from an open pollinated pumpkin. Jack

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

My Dad replanted pumpkin seeds that cross pollinated with squash.That year his pumpkins were not round.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:lol:
    i'm with dave don!

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

they are right. Saving seeds only works if the variety you are saving from wasn't a hybrid. I do not even save seeds from my watermelons because I bought hybrid seed, no telling what I would get. Costs a lot to water a garden around here, and takes months for a watermelon or pumpkin to produce. That's a lot of water.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

http://www.howarddill.com/

Only 20 minutes away, let me know if you want to buy some seeds. All you need is one :wink: :thumbsup:

8. Minz

Minz Member

Oh yeah! Something else to say about the DAG is that they make great pies! pick a small one (20lbs) cut it in half and cook it like a squash in the oven. Pull off the skin and meat is not stringy and very sweet.
    Perry, go steal me a handfull of original seeds. I be in about a month the field will be full of broken pumpkins!

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Here's this years.
    Boo! :lol:

Attached Files:

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

11. Lburou

Lburou Member

Nice pumpkins Don! :)

A family of Siberian beekeepers visited my little apiary this Summer. They left a few sun flower seeds. I'm hoping they will grow here in Texas. The hybrid seeds and their prodgeny are unpredictable. My hybrid watermelons have grown when they souldn't have and didn't when they should have grown. Go figure. :)

P.S. Gypsi, a drip irrigation system gets the cantalopes and watermelons going on a budget. :)

12. Gypsi

Soaker hoses work too, but if I am watering an area I would normally not water, the water bill still goes up. I don't waste it on bad seed. And I keep very little lawn. I water the trees in drought, let the grass go dormant. I water the foundation but try to grow bee fodder where I'm watering so it isn't a total waste.

My back yard is dry and dusty, I do need to water my young peach trees soon if it doesn't rain, but I water rarely and deeply to encourage deep roots.
    Even on my melons, I've watered once this week, and once week before last I think. I remember when October was our rainy month.

I am familiar with the Pecan Plantations down by Granbury. You all have access to river water for watering, ornamental ponds, etc. I just have Fort Worth city water. My one customer down there can't keep the deer out of her yard, gardens, pond. But the acid from the river water had pretty well eaten her wrought iron fences.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Gypsi,Seems odd to hear someone is watering watermelons this time of year.:lol: We've had heavy frost the last two mournings. Jack

14. Gypsi

Jack,

I had a high of 79 today, have had one very light non-killing frost, and have sweet potatoes and yams interplanted with my watermelons. I thought they were dead and I would need to dig them, but nope, they are alive and vining. Still have fruit on the melons too. We have a LONG growing season interrupted by about 8 weeks of scorching temps without rain at midsummer. So I have winter crops (which I haven't planted yet as there is no rain - swiss chard, spinach, broccoli, onions). I have spring crops that fruit early and burn out - summer squash and zucchini, part of my tomatoes. And I have varieties of tomatoes that fruit early, live through summer and are fruiting again now. So yes, I am watering.

We used to get rain in October.

15. Gypsi

Cute pumpkin Bee Perry!