Purple honey for Sale

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Bitty Bee, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

[​IMG]

REMEMBER: This purple honey isn't as pure as our first harvest. The bees mixed a little fall honey in with it but, you can still see and taste the purple in it.

This auction begins today, Jan. 7th, and will end on January 16th (my birthday :D ) at 4pm eastern time.
    Min. bid: $10.00

So who wants purple honey?

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Are we bidding again? I will start at $10.00

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I will go $20

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

10,20,21????

Here's a picture from our first purple honey harvest. The honey isn't quite as purple as that this time. I don't think the bees realize just how valuable it is. They keep putting it in the same frames as the fall honey. :roll:
    [​IMG]

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well it looks like there is no more takers, just box it up and send it my way :lol:

6. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Where's duck?

8. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Shhhhhh... don't remind him... he will bump it to 100. :)

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

What makes it purple? What is the floral source? You said something about its' purple flavor. What is that?

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The purple honey, AKA blue honey, is only made in certain parts of NC, and doesn't happen every year. Samples have been sent in for testing, but always seem to get "lost". No one has ever found the source. It is thought to be something in the soil that the plant is grown in, but what soil and what plant is still a mystery.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

$26.02 will be the rats bid got to get my 2 cents worth in

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Is there a Smuckers Plant or fruit juice plant nearby? Does it taste like Blueberry Flavored Syrup? Or does it taste like honey? I've never heard of any other colors of honey other than the standard Water White to Black. This is interesting?

13. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

What does purple honey taste like?

Sorry, but I have to ask, Is this for real? Or did you just add some food coloring to your honey for something different or for a joke? I'm pretty gullible at times, so I can't tell when people are kidding about something.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Google blue honey.
    It has been found in small quantities for many years. It is not something new, nor made up. It is for real, and still a mystery.

http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... -blue.html

"PINEHURST -- No one is quite sure when.

No one is quite sure where.

And after decades of studying, experts still disagree on why.

But almost every year, somewhere in the Sandhills of North Carolina, a few lucky beekeepers strike blue gold.

When they pry open the boxy, buzzing hives in a few weeks, their sticky sweet harvest will have a distinct azure tint: blue honey, colored by nature's whim and the bees' hunger."

15. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Our first purple honey harvest, there was one entire super(medium i think) full of honey. We went out to the yard to do an inspection and pulled up a frame of capped honey that looked like it was bruised(i wish i had a camera then). The cappings were tinted this blue-ish purple color. Mom and I became very scared and thought we caught some horribly awful disease of some sort in our beehives. (We were first timers and scared to death of messing up.) So we completed the inspection but could not find a single thing to indicate the hives were sick. Well, we left the super on, so the bees could finish capping the other frames, then pulled it the following week.

Mama did as much research as she could and found many different theories but, no scientific reason why our honey was purple. We still don't have an answer to this, sorry.

We haven't got a clue what the bees make it out of either. Just theories. The strange thing is...our bees only make this stuff during the summer dearth. As far as we can tell only two things bloom then, kudzu and titi. That first year, the bees put up the purple honey during a drought.

Daddy says it tastes like grape nehi. That's probably about the best definition we have. It tastes very sugary but hasn't crystallized. All I can say is it's good and I promise we have not done anything to it except extract it from the frames and put it in a jar. NOW, this jar is mixed with fall honey. So you get a glimpse of the purple...and then a fall honey but, without the burn in the back of your throat, and it's still sweeter than goldenrod honey.

I don't have any idea why the North Carolinian's call it blue. It's clearly purple, but this is the tar heel state...everything is blue. :D

Does that clear things up for ya sqkcrk?

16. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yeah, except that last comment. I woulda thought everything would be Grey. ;)

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Cause of all us blue devils..... :thumbsup:
    Think Duke, Carolina, UNC.............

18. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Oh yeah, that makes sense. How did the Devils get to be blue. Too much purple honey? :)

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you're just giving us a hard time for not wishing you a Happy Birthday. So, Happy 58th, Sqkcrk. And hope you have many more.

20. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Happy B-day sqkcrk!!! Why do you think everything would be gray in NC. I don't get it. :confused: I can be a little blonde at times.

There's 5 more days to go...I guess everyone will lurk around until the very end. Hmmmm.....I'll see if I can't get a better picture of this honey. Where did my camera go.....