Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh! I knew that. It was just hiding behind the latin pronunciation key in the internal memory, sorry. :D

So......Who wants to out bid da rat?
25,26,26, do I hear a 27?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
i can taste that purple honey now. no one going to take it for more than 26 because i put my 2 cents worth in

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Riverrat, them two pennies must have scared everyone off!

25 minutes left!
going once......

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
going twice.......
SOLD! To the man with a rat for $26.02!
Congratulations riverrat!!! :yahoo:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder if it isn't cudzu. If you've ever smelled the flowers during bloom, they smell like grapes. I know it's a leap to say because it's purple it's a grape type and then cudzu but here in NC we have plenty of cudzu flowering these days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've heard the secret is huckleberry. I emptied a clear jar of huckleberry jam (pure) and rinsed it out with water and the color was very close to purple honey. From what I read the bees will go after the berries themselves if the skin is split. Anyone else hear this theory?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We've heard the huckleberry theory..... and the elderberry, blackberry, grape, blueberry theories. I'm like Hobie in thinking that the juice and the nectar would produce different things in the hive. My other issue with that whole train of thought is that there are NONE of these things present anywhere near us during the time that we see the purple honey start coming in. And, like Iddee says those things exist in so many places and yet the purple honey does not.

Maybe one of these days someone will figure it out and then our precious purple honey would only be another "normal" thing..... :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I hope that day never comes. I like a mystery. I really like a mystery on my English muffin in the morning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like that it is mysterious as well. Have never had the opportunity to taste it and didn't know there was such a thing. Next time I have the chance to get some I will try it. I'll keep an eye out for next auction. By the way Hobie, thats what I tell myself when the last muffin hits the floor butter side down...but I think you meant something else.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts