Purple martins and queens

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by popeye, Feb 7, 2014.

1. popeye

popeye New Member

I have a 10 frame double deep hive which I started last spring. So far they are making it through the winter. I also have 3 gourd racks with a total of 48 gourds which usually fill up with purple martins. I have been landlording for 14 years now with this colony of martins. Nest checks weekly etc and take good care of them. I love beekeeping.I have been reading all I can about beekeeping and am looking forward to my 2nd year. I started with 2 hives but one of them abscounded as soon as queen was released. I want to prevent swarming and split my hive but still keep it strong. I was thinking of letting them make their own queen. Have any of you all heard about successes with purple martin colonies in same yard? I can get local queens too if I have to buy any. A bee inspector is in our area and sells them. I am a member of a local bee club in are part of nw tenn. which he is a member too. They meet once a month but it is very hard for me to attend meetings due to work and family sports etc. But if my queen is doing very good I would like to get her genetics passed on. I plan on maybe doing a Hogan style trap out too. Found 2 trees with bees last summer. Also will try and catch a swarm. I built 5 deep nucs. But, I'm limited on comb since I have only one hive. Just thinking of what I can do when it gets time. Maybe this should be posted in another room? I wish I knew what I know now when I first started. I would like to get up to around 5 hives one day that I can manage. Queen rearing seems very interesting too. I like this site and really enjoy jp's you tube videos! Also some others too on trapouts etc.

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome to the forum popeye, don't know about the purple martins, I would be afraid that they would eat my bees, but maybe not. Oh and good luck on your bees and adding to the list.

Ken

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I had a nuc yard which had many swallows and bluebirds - land owner did much like you with them. I worried that queens would not survive their mating flights. I had over 80% success with virgins in that yard over 2 years. So I would not worry too much about it.

4. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Actually, yes. 6 or 7 years ago i bought some queens from a woman in WV whose had a huge number of purple martin boxes near her mating yard (no more than 100 feet or so.) I asked her about this and she said they wont touch them. Apparently there has been some confusion between Purple Martins and Bee Martins over the years and the purples got a bad rap.