Put A Super On Top OF Hive And Bees Ate Around The Foundation ( Attached A Picture )

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Viktor, Jul 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Viktor

Viktor New Member

So i put a super box with 10 frames on top of my hives and after a while i come back to see that the foundations on the frames are eaten all around the inner frame where the foundation is installed, would like to know why they do it and how to prevent this from happening again...Please look at the picture i attached to this question...Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They do it when there is no excess nectar coming in. They will only draw comb when there is a flow going on. Put the super away until a new flow starts.

3. Viktor

Viktor New Member

What is excess nectar, and what is a flow? Thanks

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is when the flowers bloom and the bees make honey.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I took one super off each of a few hives this afternoon. They are capping other frames in supers but just playing on the last ones I put on. They still have some frames to finish drawing out and filling with honey in the brood boxes. Really that is what I would want them to be doing. Filling that upper brood box with honey is more important than filling another super.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I got some of those.

The hive is scavenging wax and not producing wax. To elaborate somewhat on Iddee's comments it takes very young bees in good numbers to produce the wax essential for a hive. With no flow coming in there is a shortage in young bees so there is little if any wax being produced. The essential wax for the hives continuing operation is essentially being scavenged from the outer edges of the hives.

I have some similar looking medium frames. Come spring time when the flow starts backup again I will set these back on a hive and reuse them and 'the girls' will not even fuss over their ragged and frayed appearance.

8. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Good to learn that young bees produce wax while elders dont.