Put on 2nd deep last night

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Jul 13, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Yesterday evening we put on the second deep and also took out the feeder jar. We made sure we pressed the frames tightly together in the middle. The bottom ones have too much stuff on them to get too tight together. Also took off the entrance reducer. About an hour or two after we did all this I went outside and the hive was busier than I have ever seen it. There were also a lot of bees bringing back pollen. Did one of them send out the signal "hey our feeder jar is gone, we better get to work!!!" ?

This morning I went out and the hive was very calm. Just a few bees out on the front porch harassing some ants. Should I be worried about the ants out there?

Jason

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Unless they are a huge problem (ants) the bees will sort them out, maybe even take them for a flight! :lol:

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Things must be pretty good if they were busy collecting so late in the day. Sounds good.
    Cool early morning temperatures can slow down the bees starting hours for work. Don't worry, as it warms up, they should get good and active.
    Bees harassing the ants??? Maybe the other way around and the guard bees trying to chase them off. If it doesn't become an attack, with large numbers invading, you can just ignore it. But look out for other entrance points around the "joints". Coming in through "the back door" the ants can be undetected and get to robbing and cause other damage.

4. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I looked all around the hive this morning and didn't see any other large number or ants. I covered the base in cinnamon, but the ants don't seem to care. I have tried to help the bees out and squished the ants that I can. They are fast. The bees were bringing back pollen until about 9:30 last night. I'd love to know where they go. Little trackers on them then put it on a map. I've tried to figure out where they go, but I go and look and don't see any bees.

Jason