puzzled,...swarm cells within two weeks

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Jun 7, 2014.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Ok, so I caught a small swarm two weeks ago. I checked them out a couple days later and spotted the queen who looked healthy and beautiful. Today I go back in to investigate and no queen to be found> There was just a hand full of brood and a few uncapped larva, and the construction of about 7-8 queen cells being built, but still empty.

Questions: (1) will they take some of the small larva and put it into the queen cells to make a new queen or do they need tiny eggs?
    (2) since they are building queen cells does that mean she is gone for good or could she maybe just on a mating excursion?

Just puzzling

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

It means they need a queen. The swarm usually leaves with the old queen then replaces her. They will select the youngest larvae, but they will try everything to survive.

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

It looks like the mated mature queen arrived with the swarm.

I would have expected such a queen to arrive with a prime swarm. Since the queen came with a small swarm and is being quickly replaced I would be suspicious as to the originating colony. One possibility could be a heavily diseased colony.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, you could put a frame of brood in with nurse bees so they have eggs to choose from but if the swarm is very small to begin with might be hard to get them built up enough for winter anyways, this is 1 of those times you have to choose if its worth the effort or not, some hives just are not meant to be.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

Plenty of time for a nuc to build up for winter. Even up here I make nucs in July and get them through the winter.

6. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Thanks, I'm gonna check on them tomorrow to see how the queen cells are coming along.