Quality of honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dakine, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I'm in the process of taking some bees and honey from a hive in a exterior wall in my garage. The garage was made with treated plywood siding. Will the honey be OK to eat?
    Aloha and mahalo.
    Dakine guy.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would say... I would not eat the stuff. The wall must have been very tight or you must live in a fairly dry environment otherwise the hive would have long ago perished.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The hive is totally encapsulated in propolis. The honey is sealed in wax. I eat it from cutouts all the time. If you don't get it dirty while removing, it is fine for eating. Just don't try to keep the uncapped honey for long. It will likely ferment from too much moisture.

4. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Thanks Ed.
    Heck I'm 73 who knows and a little preservative may add a few more miles to me!!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

womanized (treated) wood when exposed to water outgases. I would assume part of this is absorbed by the honey. I have known of one instance when folks made bee stuff from womanized wood (bottom boards), set hives down in moderate humidity conditions and couldn't figure out why nucs set into this equipment in the spring would not grow.

what was the old line... 'you are what you eat'.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If it doesn't have any tell-tale odors, I would eat it---but I wouldn't give it to other people without letting them know about its origins. As for feeding it to bees,I wouldn't hesitate using it, They would know whether or not it's acceptable.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The off gassing from that garage, IMHO, would be no more then the "off gassing" of the cows in the pasture next to your hives. :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: