queen cages

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by thatguy324, Mar 27, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've never seen the first one before, so no opinion (although it would definitely not be easy to build).
    The second one is a queen marking tube, not a cage.
    The third is OK if it doesn't use the plastic pipe in the end filled with candy. The 3 hole ones are good.

2. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

wouldn't i just need a drill some screen and some scrap wood to do the third one?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

4. Ray

Ray Member

From reading your other post; you are in your first year of beekeeping. What do you need a queen cage for?
    If you BUY a package of bees; the queen will be in one, in the package.
    Are you thinking about a queen clip? That is a spring loaded, clam shell looking affair, that holds the queen, while you are, big time, messing with the hive.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think??? the smaller cage is sometimes referred to as a California queen introduction cage <typically for bulk delivery of queens with attendant and a bit of candy in a 'larger' screen cage and no attendants in the introduction cages. if you are using these for introduction purpose they sometime come with small black plastic tube that you stuff with queen cage candy which you push in one end < I think??? you can kind of make this plastic thingee out in the picture provided by Perry.

6. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

yeah thats it can i build one of those?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You can buy them for around $5.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

The easiest would be the last ones....drill directly down a piece of wood, and then from one side , of course it would not be the end of the world if you drilled thro both sides, then.....
    . Just need some mosquito netting over the openings so attendants can feed her from outside ... Look up bee candy too and plug the holes on the ends. Cut pieces of wood if no corks around to keep the outside bees from getting in before you move her.