Queen Cells available

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Daniel Y, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Due to a trap out I started a week ago I now have 14 queen cells that are due to be capped today. 9 days until the queen should emerge.

I am only going to be using a couple of these so wanted to let folks know I have way more than I can use. If anyone is in a bad way with their queen I just wanted to let them know these are around. I will try to save as many of the queens as I can but am struggling to keep up as it is being a first year beekeeper.

I have never mailed cells so would prefer not to unless you want to provide specific instructions on how you want the packaged etc. Otherwise those that are more local can pick them up. Just PM me and we can arrange a meeting point etc.

The brood these queens where started from came from my best queen.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very decent thing of you to do, wish I lived closer. :thumbsup:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I have never mailed cells so would prefer not to unless you want to provide specific instructions on how you want the packaged etc. Otherwise those that are more local can pick them up. Just PM me and we can arrange a meeting point etc.

tecumseh:
    I ain't the police or the hall monitor but I suspect this is illegal without a proper permit. Some folks do ship cell but there is (imho) considerable risk in doing so.

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I am working on a way to get them all reared and mated. Just not sure exactly what I will need to do that. doing my homework now. I know they can mate from a very tiny box with just a hand full of bees.

I just hate to waste these queens and then see a post from someone that suddenly lost theirs two weeks from now. I will do what I can to salvage them and then get rid of them down the road if I have to.

5. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Just an update, Half the cells are now gone and are going as fast as they are being capped. I am posting this update for any of those that are looking at this thread and waiting for the queens to be emerged before contacting me. So far there is 100% chance their will be nothing left by then.

Half the cells where capped yesterday and gone before noon.

I may have more queen cells than the original 14 I thought I had. I think I saw more while cutting out cells yesterday. Some of them I am not sure I can get out separately though. So for now I will keep it at 6 more cells are available and are due to emerge on the 27th.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest to you Daniel that cells recently capped are very fragile and are quite unlikely to survive much jostling or rough handling. As the cell approaches the day they emerge (after their external skeleton begin to harden... ie it goes from being very white to tannish) they become a bit more robust but still should be handled with care.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Tecumseh, The ones that are gone where picked up by a local beekeeper. I didn't really talk to him much but was interested in why he was making new hives this late. Maybe it is not all that late for this area. Maybe he just saw a chance to get queens and decided to go for it. I don't really know how late to expect our season to run here.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Thing relative to season are something you invariable must learn. I myself could never obtain that kind of information from a book and of course ever year is a bit different from the next.

Since a lot of hives get into trouble in the late summer due to varroa, lack of stores, etc. some folks do need some possibility of getting a queen into a box at this time of year. A bit later and it is simply too late.

Although I myself rear a few mated queen from cells I do know of a couple of other folks here who sell only queen cells (very early in the season and primarily to large migratory operations). Cells relative to mated queens simply require no little boxes and much less labor.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

And on the other side of that 49th parallel. So you don't get fined.

10. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

It is looking like I will not figure out how to get these queens mated. Mainly due to a lack of drawn comb. This being my first year I simply don't have enough resources.

I was in the midst of making 3 new hives out of wood I found for free. All three are double deeps as well as the frames. I also managed to get 2 nucs and 2 yankee nucs out of all of it.

In total this requires 70 new frames just to fill all the boxes. I am right now in the process of trying to get those frames made and some new frames have gone into every hive I have.

Those hives include the trap out that has 6 frames of foundation in it.
    My original hive I started last spring that has 20 deep frames in it. 10 brood 10 honey for the bees this winter.

The nuc we brought home from the trap out that has 5 frames in it. 2 honey, 1 pollen the frame with the queen cells and one frame of foundation. The big hive also has a couple frames of undrawn foundation.

My main problem right now is none of them are drawing foundation at all.

So even though I can get the frames made and have some foundation to put in them. I also have the boxes I could sacrifice to make the mating boxes. I don't have any drawn comb to offer new queens.

I don't know if the bees can make due on just foundation or not but my gut does not like it. I simply don't see a way I will get even 8 frames of foundation drawn soon enough and in truth I need more like 16.

I still have at least 10 cells available but this Saturday or Sunday is probably going to be the end of them. Simply to much to fast and as a part time thing for me I am running myself ragged trying to keep up.

I think it is best if I real it back a little and focus on getting this trap out completed and getting the nuc we do have off to it's best start.

Hey I gave it my best shot but just can't seem to see my what through unless a mating nuc can be started with just foundation.

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The most important thing to remember is the bees are not going to want to draw out comb very well in the fall and winter months and foundation is not beneficial. Bees need the drawn combs so they can pack there bodies in the cell to form the insulating cluster. If you are worried that the hive doesn't have enough stores for winter, feed while the bees can take the syrup in the fall leaving the stored honey for when the bees are clustered. Next spring when natural nectar and pollen flows start you will find the bees will draw out foundation readily.

12. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

The bees never have drawn any foundation so I did not have the frames to put together mating nucs and get the cells separated. As it turns out I would have only had 4 cells to move anyway. The rest where gone just from local pick up.

At any rate they emerged yesterday just as I expected so now my focus is on doing anything that can be done to help the trap and the nuc build up. It looks like in the end they are going to be combined back into a single hive before it is all over.

13. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sure wish you could closer. I'm down a queen from a late season swarm and her daughters only made one queen cell. Like you, I'm not comb-rich, but I have more than I had last year.

14. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Gypsi, I have sort of followed your story from last year as I have been reading tons just figuring out getting started. It has been nice to see you have a better year.

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Daniel, it has been nice having a better year.

And I went from queen poor to one too many yesterday. I missed a queen cup in the hot hive, they summarily ejected the poor Italian queen, I found her yesterday morning. My poor "queenless hive" has a ton of brood about to hatch, and some that is 3 days old, they have a hatched and mated queen it would appear. By the time I had her a nuc with brood and food set up, she had died in her cage in my pocket. So I gave the brood and food to the hive with the lowest bee count, and put her in some alcohol to preserve her pheromones.