Queen cells in a swarm/combine?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I combined a swarm and a queenless nuc last weekend. I have seen the queen several times in the swarm. Have had them for several weeks. I also had a nuc that was queenless. I decided to combine them last Saturday.

I checked on them yesterday. There was some capped brood, larva, but I also saw 2 queen cells being pulled.
    They were not capped yet and they were in the middle of a frame. I am thinking they may be replacing the queen.
    I will monitor to see if they finish capping them. Not near crowded enough to swarm.

I guess you never know the age of the queen in a swarm.

Think I am on the right track in my thinking?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have always suspected Yankee that queen cells can be generated for a lot of different primary reason's beyond the failure of the current queen. I have little doubt that certain beekeeper manipulation can generate this atypical response.... it is atypical enough that it can appear quite random and of course a started cell does not equate to a fully developed cell that emerges.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Are you talking about queen cells with eggs or developing larvae or simply unoccupied queen cups? Queen cups are nothing to be concerned about. Bees like to have them and can keep them for extended periods without the slightest intent to use them.