Queen cells in January??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by busybee, Jan 30, 2011.

1. busybee

busybee New Member

I took a look into my hive and it appears to have a few Queen Cells. Does that sound about right for Central North Carolina?

How should I handle this? Thanks.

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

What has your weather been like?

Is the hive packed full of brood or none all?

Do you have drone brood?

In missouri I would be worried about a queenless hive. Or about to become virgin led hive.

3. busybee

busybee New Member

We've had some days in the 50's and a few days where the bee's are coming out; Mostly in the 30's and 40's. Cool to cold nights.

The queen wouldn't try to leave this early would she?
    They still have plenty of honey.

I didn't see or look for drone cells.

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I am guessing based on that description the bees have decided to supercede.. it sounds like its to cold still to take apart the hive and look for the queen. I personally would wack out the queen cells right now. Would hate for a virgin to assissinate a live queen this time of year and even if you are queenless sounds like a virgin wouldn't get to mate anyway..

But hold out and listen to the others before following my advice. Simply because I have heard it is never a good idea to cut them out. Anyway you go you will need to watch them super close to see if a new queen needs ordered..

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Did you check to see if the queen cells were sealed or open on the bottom our side.I'm guessing they are old cells left over from last year.Jack

6. busybee

busybee New Member

Actually the hive accidently opened a bit while we were moving it and I saw the cells. It was a warm day and they seem to be doing well now as they were flying around today.

I normally wouldn't open the hive at this time.

I'm still new to the bee world but I don't think those cells were
    there last fall. I could be wrong.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think they are queen cups, not cells. Cups look like cells with no bottom on them. I don't think you have queen cells in this area in Jan. Glad to see you back on the forum.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

no matter what I would suspect that you are unlikely to have drones capable of mating at this point in the season.

ps... within the past 10 days or so you haven't moved any frames within the hive have you?

9. busybee

busybee New Member

What is a Queen Cup? An old cell from last year??

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It can be, or sometimes they make them as if just practicing making queen cells but never finish them. You never know why they do some of the things they do.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Queen cups are made in different areas of the hive. Some believe they are there for emergency use some believe they are practice queen cells. However as long as there is no egg in the cell they will not tend to it and it will not get capped. I have seen hives build and tear down queen cups throughout the summer. Most never get used. I would almost bet they was there in the fall before the girls went into cluster. I dont think they have really ever figured out exactly why the bees do this.

12. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

14. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

G3 got a good picture of what we call a false cell. I wouldn't do anything. I am in about same area and there no drone to speak of and if you see drones and have ripe cell more then like the drones are immature and wont breed
    Don

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think (again not absolutely certain) that what fatbeeman calls a false cup we always called a dry queen cell cup. the girls will make a lot of dry cell all over the hive but the real difference is is there anything inside the cup like an egg or larvae. the conventional wisdom is that once started (ie once you see a larvae floating in royal jelley) the workers feel compelled to complete the task.